Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some of my friends polishing parts in their engine using different types of sandpaper. Do you think this would work on the nasty rusted rotors?

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Is it the ROTORS that are rusty, or the hubs? If you sand your rotors it'll just get orange again as soon as you get them wet. You could do a light LIGHT sanding on the hubs if you really want to.

To fix the rotor problem, just got out and do some hard braking for a few seconds. Should shine 'em right up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad, Its the hubs im talking about. I have a web of rust on my hubs. It looks like something spilled and turned into rust. Can I sand that down? Im going to paint my calipers this weekend so I want get it all done in one shot.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Sweetzzzz:
My bad, Its the hubs im talking about. I have a web of rust on my hubs. It looks like something spilled and turned into rust. Can I sand that down? Im going to paint my calipers this weekend so I want get it all done in one shot.
You could just paint the hubs while yer at it, silver would be nice. =)

Take a very fine grit paper to it and see if it helps. If a few swipes don't make a difference, then I wouldn't advise sanding much more as the hubs are pretty important when it comes to rotational balance. =)

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Hey help me boost my pathetic star rating if any of this info was helpful, and I'll help yours!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
one of the Kids in my Car Club took his IS300 bac kto the Dealer and they replaced the rotors because of the rusting issue, I do not have that problem that is when he noticed mine were not rusted and his were...

You can try to get them to replace them if you want.. they did it for him no questions asked

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by fairuza11:
one of the Kids in my Car Club took his IS300 bac kto the Dealer and they replaced the rotors because of the rusting issue, I do not have that problem that is when he noticed mine were not rusted and his were...

You can try to get them to replace them if you want.. they did it for him no questions asked
I can't believe they'd replace rotors. I can understand if they were cracked or chipped or something, but normal wear-and-tear? That's like getting your tires replaced!

Good service!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt my lexus dealer will replace anything! Im still getting the run around for the plastics under the car. I riding around with cracked plastics cause they are not in stock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think polishing would work on the rotors because they are iron (unless they are 2-piece rotors like AEM with aluminum hats). Like was said, you can paint them, though, as part of it is visible between the backside of the rim and the rotor face. You can use metal polish on aluminum or stainless steel parts. In fact, I think my muffler is about due for another polishing.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by chromaplast:
lol, how the heck did you get down to 3 stars?
maybe agentsmith wants more pic of bikini girls
I haven't the slightest! I know one blow came from my retarded oil weight post, but I got 2 more since then! WTF am I doing wrong? =)

Oh well, maybe I'll be as l33t as you someday with 5 again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts