Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The second Gen IS comes with the built in LED for the Cupholders

i was bored today and i figured i try to attempt the same thing.

so if i had my waterbottle in my cupholder it lights up

i did this on my 2001 Is300 E-shift

Tools:
Dremel with Drill bit
Plyers
Patience
flathead

Dremel

Step one, Clear out your Cupholder, ashtry, take break

Step Two, Pry up the gearbox ring with flathead, and handbrake boot

Step Three, Once you have the ring off, put the Car into Neutral by turning the key in acc and steping on brake.

Step Four, Pry up the Gearbox face, it takes some moving around

After that is off you'll see a clear thing like this

Step five, take your flat head and wedge between clips to lift up the clear shield, take another break

Step six,

locate back wire and bulb that goes into the shield thing. disconnect it

Step seven, remove bulb for safe keeping and Drag that wire to the handbrake

Step eight
we start Drilling! i drilled into the top right corner of the cupholder to avoid hitting any cup
i suggest you drill it a little lower than where i have mine b/c i can into complications with the cupholder lip closing.

Step nine, put everything back together and make sure it works.

FYI, This is a permanent Mod, hole in the cup holder thing. And remove light from gearbox while driving at night.

So what i did was take the light from the gear box and placed it in the cup holder

results =

im putting some leds in the future

its time for me to clean my cupholder!

Happy modding

- Dannknee!

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Couldn't you have just tapped that wire that goes to the shift plate for another LED instead of losing your gear shift illumination?

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
That's pretty neat, I didn't know the second gen IS's had that from the factory. Great tutorial! +Rep

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Very cool mod, I never would have thought about doing something like that. You could have just wired in an aftermarket LED though couldn't you? That way you could keep the LED in the gear shifter stock.

+rep, I might end up doing this with a separate LED since I have a manual :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
The 2IS doesn't have that from the factory. There is a little crappy LED in the compartment area that doesn't do anything practical.

This "mod" is an option if you get a Scion though. Swizzle.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I for one would love to be able to see the contents of my cup holder at night. I always put my phone and wallet (and whatever else is in my pockets) in the cup holder when I drive. It's sort of a pain not being able to see it at night.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
sweet! how much do you want to charge for you labor lol

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Looks sweet buddy! Have some rep.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very cool mod, I never would have thought about doing something like that. You could have just wired in an aftermarket LED though couldn't you? That way you could keep the LED in the gear shifter stock.

+rep, I might end up doing this with a separate LED since I have a manual :rolleyes:
Couldn't you have just tapped that wire that goes to the shift plate for another LED instead of losing your gear shift illumination?

yeah my mod just gave you guys some idea, to perfect or even take it a different route. i wasnt using the light in the first place so i figured why not.
gateway mod

just makes me want to drink more water :)

thanks guys :)

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
exactly....?

why not just run a led to the cup holder & tap the power off that wire powering the light for the gear illumination plate....?

just as easy really & does not disable anything OEM....

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
somebody broke the first rule of "Midnight Modify Society" and modded before nightfall.

I see sunlight!!!!! :lol:

great idea! +rep bro!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
somebody broke the first rule of "Midnight Modify Society" and modded before nightfall.

I see sunlight!!!!! :lol:

great idea! +rep bro!
hahha i know
there are certain things we cant do at midnight :)

but if yo notice the cupholder picture with my finger is at night ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts