Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot be responsible for your mistakes so do this with caution and at your own risk.

I am posting this here because I think its a good mod. Feel free to move it to mobiletronics.

Anyway, this thread caught my attention few weeks ago and i have always wanted to do this mod since. Prior to that, I had no idea of it.

Got a chance to do this 2 nights ago and took some pictures (I couldn't find any at first) so I am posting them.

Step 1.

I removed this by pulling from here. Mine came right off. But like vlad_a said, some might have to remove the whole door panel. DIY for that should be around.

Step 2.

I disconnected the only two harnesses

Step 3.

There is a metal clip and it fell down after pulling the switch panel off. I used the magnetic stick and picked it back up. Just had to be careful of the speaker.

Step 4.

The green and black wire (thanks to vlad_a) was found on the larger harness

Step 5.

I cut the green/black wire, taped it and wrapped it well. Thought it was good to leave some slack. Plugged the harnesses back.

Step 6.

I inserted the metal clip back onto the panel like so

Step 7.

Back of the panel slides in first then push the front down

So like vlad_a said, if you open the door with the actual key itself (inserting) then the alarm will be triggered. If you open the door with the keyless entry then the alarm will NOT be triggered. I never opened the door by inserting the key, this was the first time.

I cannot be responsible for your mistakes so do this with caution and at your only risk.

I claim no credit of this mod - all credit goes to vlad_a. :)

here is the end result

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
What if your remote breaks, or the battery runs out?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HarryB said:
how come my car already does that!?
your sig. says you have a is200? this was done on my 2001 is300 sold in the states.

if the battery runs out, your alarm prob. wont go off. if remote breaks then i think alarm will be off after you start your car - someone verify this. i cannot start my car now so i cant test for that.

also, when you test it, make sure your hood is latched. my hood is still off the car and i was like "how come the alarm is not arming....."

Reactions: ElusiveIS

·
Registered
54 Posts
ok maybe different features for different regions, just wondered because my car isnt exactly new... its an 02

·
Registered
749 Posts
hmmm, I may have to do this. So if someone uses a slim jim on the drivers door, will that set off the alarm also (with this mod) OR is this only using a key/screwdriver? That's if a slim jim will work on the IS....

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
slim jims dont work on the IS, i've locked my keys in my car twice and each time they tried a slim jim but couldnt unlock it. they had to use really small bags and slide them in between the door jam then pump them up giving them about a 1/2 inch to work with. then hook a clothes hanger or some kinda hook to the actual lock/switch. they would pull it and the doors would unlock for a split second and i had to open the door in the split second. if we didnt time it right the doors locked and the alarm sounded, after hearing the alarm go off and with no way to turn it off, i made damn sure we were in sync the next time. kinda complicated but yeah...

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
good post. May I add it also keep away the ugly scratch marks from your door handle with the key.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
NiNE said:
slim jims dont work on the IS, i've locked my keys in my car twice and each time they tried a slim jim but couldnt unlock it. they had to use really small bags and slide them in between the door jam then pump them up giving them about a 1/2 inch to work with. then hook a clothes hanger or some kinda hook to the actual lock/switch. they would pull it and the doors would unlock for a split second and i had to open the door in the split second. if we didnt time it right the doors locked and the alarm sounded, after hearing the alarm go off and with no way to turn it off, i made damn sure we were in sync the next time. kinda complicated but yeah...
Sorry for the double post, but yea a slim jim def will not work on our car. Its not like some cars where they use metal rods to be leverage for the locks and handle, The IS uses a sleeved cable so getting a slim jim to pull the cable would be impossible.

The split second unlock and locking was actually engineered on purpose. Have you ever try to unlock a car and pull the door handle simultaneously? If you have you probably notice that the lock usually will get stuck. So in the case of a theif trying to use that method to break in, the locking mechanism will actually "freeze".

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
um... yeah. just tried this on my 2002 eshift and it didn't do what it was supposed to.

cut the green wire with the black strip coming out of the power window module, lock car, waited, tried to unlock car by turning the key, no alarm.

only thing that happens is now i can't unlock all the doors with the key in the handle (second turn does nothing now)

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
ok nm figured it out myself.

my trunk was open :blush:

i found that out after i resoldered the wires and drove to the grocery store, where a helpful guy made me aware that the trunk was open.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
will this be the same for 05's. i got the wire, but not sure if i want to cut it. any confermation?

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
ScarecroW said:
will this be the same for 05's. i got the wire, but not sure if i want to cut it. any confermation?

It should be, I see no reason for Toyota to change the harness.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hakjai said:
nice mod brandon, we have to do sams car :)
jon, just came back from a test drive. such a nice night today.

not sure about 2005s. why dont you do a test on your car and let us know. or maybe the mods can verify this for you.

·
8,803 Posts
Eminence said:
good post. May I add it also keep away the ugly scratch marks from your door handle with the key.

people actually use the key to open the door? i havent used a key to open any car i have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
TahoeSSDVD said:
people actually use the key to open the door? i havent used a key to open any car i have ever owned.

Haha I dunno? When manufacturers didn't make keyless entry from factory people go aftermarket for them, but when manf. places keyless entry from factory, people don't use it. I don't know how the world work anymore.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
TahoeSSDVD said:
In some downtown areas, the buildings mess up the reception of the car's remote antenna. Come to downtown Tampa ;)

So you can still open the door, right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts