Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so mine is now painted GGP and will be installed next weekend hopefully. I want to make sure it goes on perfectly. How do you use the adhesive promotor and alcohol it comes with? Should I peel the tape off completely before putting it on, or take it off as I press against the bumper? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
chado said:
Okay, so mine is now painted GGP and will be installed next weekend hopefully. I want to make sure it goes on perfectly. How do you use the adhesive promotor and alcohol it comes with? Should I peel the tape off completely before putting it on, or take it off as I press against the bumper? Thanks for the help

What I do with a lot of parts that have the 3M pre applied and if i had to add it

I clean the area with soap and water
Then take the alcohol pad and clean the area really well

Take the blue painters tape and tape off the area above where the adhesion promoter is going (will get on other parts if the tape is not applied, or the promoter is just slopped on)

Take the promoter and apply

remove 3M tape backing

And apply and press on lip (btw this is like a 1 time deal) once the 3M hits the promoter it affixes to the car

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
on a front lip I would say forgot the 3m promoter unless youve had past problems with the lip fallin off due to fitment problems ect(just rivet the sides and use 3m tape along all the edges).......you aint gettin it off after u use some of that promoter.....thanks again jay for lettin most of us know about that stuff my real lip aint ever comin off in the middle again!!! esp after i get that molded too ;)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, +rep

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
chado said:
thanks, +rep
Here's a better tip. after prepping the surface, pull out about 1-2" of red tape of the double sided adhesive upward, bolt on the lip, then as you push up and against the lip towards the bumper, pull up on the red tape, this way you ensure proper adhesion without having to worry about the lip being crooked or etc.

BTW, adhesive promoter is just an alcohol solution to clean off any wax or dirt buildup on the painted surface for secure adhesion. don't worry if it dries up before you apply the pieces.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ that's what i was thinking, too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts