Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have been searching (for days).

Question 1:
I wanted to install remote start (DEI), however, I wanted to use the OEM, original key to start the car. I heard someone got the "panic" function to start the car. I heard using the trunk function was easier, but prefer to use the panic function (holding the lock button), since I never use the "panic" function. I rather not loose my remote trunk opener button.

Question 2:
I also wanted to know what wire remains negative after activating the alarm?

Thanks for your help.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Why??? The factory range sucks and it defeats the purpose of remote start. I have a unit that can work with the factory remote. It needs 3 pulses to start it.(I.E. press the lock button 3 times in a row.) Just to make this CLEAR! When the car is either remote started or started with the key the factory key fob transmitter DOES NOT WORK! Try it at home and you will see what I mean. Since this is the case of the factory wiring design built into the cars control modules, if you remote start the car with the key or a system that does not do door lock control. YOU will have to open the door with the key. Unless someone can prove my theory wrong then I must say again that the factory range sucks and it would not be the best choice for a remote start system. This is tested and proven on an '01 IS300.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just got a remote start system from Linsnup and its great. The range is really good. I know for a fact that the remote functions (lock, unlock, panic, trunk release) do not work when the car is started either normally or remotely. Other than not having an extra remote I would see no advantage in having one that works on the key. External units have a much longer range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remote Start with OEM Key

lisnup65 said:
Why??? The factory range sucks and it defeats the purpose of remote start. I have a unit that can work with the factory remote. It needs 3 pulses to start it.(I.E. press the lock button 3 times in a row.) Just to make this CLEAR! When the car is either remote started or started with the key the factory key fob transmitter DOES NOT WORK! Try it at home and you will see what I mean. Since this is the case of the factory wiring design built into the cars control modules, if you remote start the car with the key or a system that does not do door lock control. YOU will have to open the door with the key. Unless someone can prove my theory wrong then I must say again that the factory range sucks and it would not be the best choice for a remote start system. This is tested and proven on an '01 IS300.
Thank you for your input. I know lisnup65 is the person to ask about alarms.

1) The factory remote key range is not much of a concern for me. I wanted the remote start for "show" and not necessarily for convenience.

2) I do not want to carry any additional remotes on my person or keychain. I hate carring keys, everything goes into the girlfriend's purse.

3) I do not mind unlocking the doors manually once the car has been started if it means not having to carry an EXTRA remote unit.

Please give me some details on how to perform the remote start using the orginal (OEM) Lexus key. Some specific critical connection related to the IS300 would be great (the basics we understand). I was going to use DEI products. If you have another product that will allow me to remote start using the OEM key, please let me know (you got my attention). Pressing the Lexus key lock button three times to start the car sounds great and that is what I was looking for. Thank you.

P.S. I know a little bit about alarms, but I have a friend (free labor) who has added remote start systems to different types of cars (e.g. hondas, toyotas, diesels, manuals-not Lexus). I wanted to give him some helpful hints from the IS300 members to prevent a major f___k-up on my car. Thanks again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
remote start

I am interested. I was hoping for a response before Xmas. Thanks. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
elaudtr
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing