Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I have a 2002 IS300, 5-spd, Nitto Neo Gen 225/45 17"

I am looking to improve the handling. This is an everyday driver but I do like to whip around the on ramps and winding country roads.

I know thicker stabilizers/sway bars or wider tires may help. BUT, I want to do this professionally so I notice the difference and don't overkill.

I am also working with a limited budget. Which changes make the greatest difference?

Would this include new struts/shocks, torsion/stabilizer bar, lower profile tires, etc. (I will not lower the car)

Any name brand parts/sizes you can advise would be appreciated.
Also, what is the widest tire size that will properly fit this car? Any suggestions for a great performing tire too?

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I would put off the front and rear sway bars and instead invest in some nice aftermarket shocks and springs. They will make your ride sit lower, giving it a better profile, and dramatically improve the ride.

I recommend tokico illumina 5 way adjustable shocks ($400 on ebay) and H&R springs ($260 on tirerack.com, but probably cheaper on ebay). I have this setup with everything else stock and I love it!!

If you do not want the aggressive drop of the H&R springs, then you can always do the tokico illuminas with eibach pro kit springs. Also a nice combo.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hello All,

I have a 2002 IS300, 5-spd, Nitto Neo Gen 225/45 17"

I am looking to improve the handling. This is an everyday driver but I do like to whip around the on ramps and winding country roads.

I know thicker stabilizers/sway bars or wider tires may help. BUT, I want to do this professionally so I notice the difference and don't overkill.

I am also working with a limited budget. Which changes make the greatest difference?

Would this include new struts/shocks, torsion/stabilizer bar, lower profile tires, etc. (I will not lower the car)

Any name brand parts/sizes you can advise would be appreciated.
Also, what is the widest tire size that will properly fit this car? Any suggestions for a great performing tire too?

Thanks for your help!!!
Why won't you lower the car? A lower center of gravity is a little important to neglect for handling, no?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Why won't you lower the car? A lower center of gravity is a little important to neglect for handling, no?
A correct center of gravity is.

Very few people who lower their cars actually do before/after testing on a track to see if they got it right though- usually they just tell people how "hella sweet it looks slammed" without bothering to check if they also lowered it so much they put their roll center under the ground or not. There is such a thing as making your handling worse by lowering too.

Sway bars on the other hand generally make a significantly measurable handling improvement for a ton less labor, and without need to muck around hoping your alignment is still ok.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Get sways! This will improve your handling by far. Stock sways are shitty.

Stock springs and struts are better than the stock sways. Since you mentioned that you do not want to lower....go for sways. I don't have them currently on my car but have experienced them in many other cars....... Aftermarket sways is def a well worth investment.

Go with Eibach from tirerack.com or get Hotchkis. Can't go wrong with both.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sways (eliminate body roll) for sure make the biggest difference. After that I would say coilovers are next on the list as far as their effect. A close third underbraces (tighten steering). The rear strut tie bar helps too but can make it a bit tail happy. Which I like. I've seen little impact with the front strut tie bar, mostly an asthetic mod.

I have heard great things about the Hocthiks sways. I believe they are even adjustable. I went with the TRD yellow race sways. I am very happy with them.

As far as a budget with this stuff...I would say eibach pro kit and sways (eibach or l-tuned). You might be able to find a combo on ebay or even a used set up from another member could be a great way to go. Don't forget the alignment after you get everything situated, it defeats the purpose to not dial everythign in.

I would too look into some wider rims. I've noticed that the stock 17X7's seem to want to follow the grooves of the road a bit more than my 19X9's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.