Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a winter beater and commuting car (1992 Nissan Stanza), in addition to IS. It's a good car but, probably, the previous owners did not take care of it well, it has been becoming really troublesome. I have already spent more money than I paid for the car, for just fixing the problems and passing the state inspections (NY and now WV). Recently, while I was coming back from work, it started leaking the engine coolant and the engine temp was becoming above "H". Luckily, I drove back to the apartment parking space, and found the engine coolant was draining.

Since the running cost of this car is way higher than the one for IS, I was wondering whether I may be better off to discard this car. Do you guys think that I had better repair and sell this car (for very cheap price); if the repair cost is not minimal, then just discarding the car may become less costly to me. Do you guys know how and where to discard a car? Bring (tow) the car to a junk yard? Does a junk yard ask some fee for discarding a car?

Any info, related to this topic, would be appreciated.

G

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
Well not sure about any where else, but at certain times of the year in San Diego they give poeple $500 for there junkers running or not, to get them off the streets and keep the smog down...

·
Registered
16 Posts
You could also look into donating the car to charity. If you itimize your deductions on your tax returns, you can claim the fair market value of the donation as an offset to your taxes.

I donated my old RX-7 to a group called the Cancer Recovery Foundation last year and got a document that gave me blue book value for the donation even though the car needed a lot of work. It is also a benefit to the charity so it's a good alternative. The charity will arrange to have the car picked up and take care of all the DMV paperwork for you.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The best way to get rid of a car is to tear it down piece by piece and sell what you can on Ebay. I 500.00 POS will bring in 3000.00 or more. Parts individual are worth a lot more than in whole. I learned this with some old cycles I had.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all.

So far, there are a few options: junk yard, donation, or ebay. Ebay seems more costly to me (in terms of time). If I tow the car to a nearby junk yard, does the junk yard pay for towing, or do I need to pay for towing?

Any other options are also welcome.

G

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
If I dont want a car any longer i just give it away (not looking for a profit) ... if not.. the junkyard offers free tow away here in NYC but they dont pay you anything for a car older than 10yrs old. under 10yrs old you get like $200 and a free towaway.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Try selling it as is to some home mechanic. I'm sure somebody out there will be willing to spend money for a fixer-upper.

If not, the charity idea sounds good.

·
11,062 Posts
Yeah, Salvation Army or other charity will take it off your hands and you can deduct the value off taxes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
stealth
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing