Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my Avic D3 in today! I'm just making this thread now, will update with a Newbie's (myself) How-To Guide of how to install a headunit with the Metra Kit and all, even though it's pretty simple. I'm so excited! I think i'm going to do the wires now.

Ok, I think I'm going to slowly add the steps, instead of all at once. I'll be too lazy to do it later.

Here's a pic of everything I got.

Pioneer Avic-D3 - Pioneer AVIC-D3 In-Dash DVD GPS Receiver - CompUPlus Direct - $699
CD-i200 iPod Connector - eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices - $30 shipped
JDM Dash Kit - L-Tuned Parts - Toyota Japan Double-din Radio Face Plate - ~$56 shipped
Metra Harness - Buy the Metra Toyota Interface (TYTO01) and other Car In-Dash Vehicle Wiring Harnesses at circuitcity.com - $80
Custom Cut D3 Screen Protector - eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices - ~$15 shipped

Materials and Tools Needed in Order of Need:
-Zip Ties
-Very Small Screwdriver
-Wire Tappers/Heat Shrink/Quick Disconnects/Solder (Your Choice)
-Electrical Tape
-Flat Head Screwdriver
-Philips Screwdriver (maybe)
-Wide Painter's Tape
-10mm Socket Wrench

Steps 1 and 2 should be done before even touching your car.

Step 1: Avic-D3 Bypass to allow videos while in motion
NOTE: This step is specifically for the Avic-D3, but many other units require the same step as stated below.

-Locate the yellow/black wire in the connector. This is the mute wire.

-Now get a smalllllll screwdriver (all I had was a nail) and pry out this plastic tab. As you do this, pull on the mute wire, it should come out easily.

-Now stick the wire into the hole directly above the one it was in. Stick it in so the groove on the metal of the wire is facing inwards.

-You will need to ground this mute wire, as well as the lime green parking brake wire, later.

Step 2: Connecting the harnesses of the headunit and the Metra harness.

-I zip-tied the A/V input and rear camera wires as well as the bundle of wires on the power connector that you don't use to keep them out of the way since I won't be using them. I recommend you do too.

A. The power connector bundle. I used 3 different methods of connecting just for kicks.
-Connect the RED wire from the 12 pin harness of the Metra to the RED wire labeled ACC on the unit.
-Connect the YELLOW wire from the Metra to the YELLOW wire labeled +BATTERY on the unit.
-Connect the BLACK wire from the Metra to the BLACK wire labeled GROUND on the unit.

B. The Audio/Visual bundle.
-Connect the GREEN RCA from the Metra to the WHITE REAR Output RCA from the unit.
-Connect the PURPLE RCA from the Metra to the RED REAR Output RCA from the unit.
-Connect the BLACK RCA from the Metra to the RED FRONT Output RCA from the unit.
-Connect the WHITE RCA from the Metra to the WHITE FRONT Output RCA from the unit.
-Connect the BLUE/WHITE wire from the Metra to the BLUE/WHITE wire labeled SYSTEM REMOTE CONTROL from the unit.

Step 3: Dash Removal

-Take a flathead screwdriver, and stick it under the felt lining on the tray.

-Unscrew the 2 + screws holding the top tray/vent down.

-Remove the tray/vent piece by pulling out and up.

-Remove the switch tray by pushing up and creating friction, and pulling out.

-Tape up the sides of your dash while the radio is in there really well. Even more than I have. You won't regret it.

-Unscrew the 2 10mm bolts above the radio, and below the radio.

-Now carefully pull out the stereo partially by lifting it up and out. It should come out with ease.

-Unplug the 2 connectors attached to the AC controls.

-It's hard to see, but unplug the white connector that is connected to the stereo as well as the 2 antenna cables on (your) left of the radio. Put the radio assembly aside.

Step 4: Replacing Stock Radio With Aftermarket
-I didn't take pictures of every step here, but it's pretty self explanatory.

-Remove 4 screws from each side of the radio. Then carefully remove the radio from it's place.

-Carefully slide the harness from behind your aftermarket radio. Then screw in as many screws as you can without risking a crooked or messed up radio. I could only do 3.

-Now take your JDM dash kit, turn it around, and undo the 3 screws as marked. Then push the big middle piece out towards the back.

-Now test fit it if you want. The JDM dash kit snaps into place by just pushing it in. There's a little gap for me, but I will deal with that later if need be. You'll need to take the JDM dash kit off for later.

Now to have fun with the car wires. While the Metra allows for a mostly car-splicing free setup, there are a few wires you still have to splice.

Step 5: Tapping into the Vehicle Speed Sensor and Reverse Sensor wires (If Necessary)

A. The VSS wire is located behind the gauges, so we need to remove that first.
-Pull this lever and push the steering wheel down to give you more room to work.

-Unscrew the 2 Philips screws above the gauges, as well as the one under the ignition.

-Now pull off cover surrounding the gauges by simply pulling on the top. I think it took me some force. Also unplug the gray plug on the left that goes to your illumination knob.

-Now unscrew the 2 screws on the bottom of the gauges and the one above it not circled.

-Now pull out the gauges, and unplug the 2 connectors in the back.

-Locate the left, bigger connector. Then locate this orange and yellow wire.

-Connect the VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR wire from your headunit to this wire. My unit came with a separately bundled wire, so it was not connected to the radio yet. Route the other end through to the radio area.

-Reverse steps and reinstall the gauges if you believe you did it correctly.

B. The Reverse Sensor wire needs to be tapped into a wire in the passenger fuse box. This wire will trigger your backup camera feed, and also provide better GPS navigating.

-Next to your dead pedal, turn this plastic looking bolt to unscrew and remove.

-Next simply lift the door panel trim piece up and remove.

-Now just pull the fuse area cover off from the edge.

-Look to the right of the fuse box. The lower wire bundle has a black and red wire. Locate that wire and tap the REVERSE SENSOR wire into it. Again, this was not connected to the radio or anything else yet, which made it much easier.

-Now to route this wire to the radio area, unscrew the screw next to the hood release latch, as well as the one on the opposite side, closer to the radio area.

-Pull down on the cover under the steering wheel, and you can route the wire through.

-Reverse steps to reinstall things.

Step 6: Wiring Installation
There are a couple of things that need to be done in the radio area: grounding, illumination wire, and power antenna wire.
You can do this in whatever order you wish. It's tough to give it in a series of steps because there are so many wires. You may want to do it differently. I will just provide you with the steps of what need to be done.

A. Grounding the D3 wire, MUTE wire from before, D3 PARKING BRAKE wire, and METRA wire.
-Take the MUTE wire and the PARKING BRAKE wire, spin them together, and crimp onto a metal spade connector.

-Now use a 14 mm socket wrench and unbolt the bottom (or top) bolt as seen below. It doesn't have to be all the way, depending on the connector.

-Now insert the MUTE and PARKING BRAKE wire connection onto the screw, between the car frame and the nut. Re-tighten the bolt.

B. The ILLUMINATION and POWER ANTENNA wires are located on the stock factory radio harness.
-Locate the GREEN wire on the left of the radio harness when looking at it from the top. Tap the ILLUMINATION wire onto this wire.

-Behind that GREEN wire, there is a BLACK wire. Tap the POWER ANTENNA wire into this wire.

Step 7: GPS Antenna Install
NOTE: You can put this wherever you want, but I wanted mine hidden, and get great reception so far.

-Look above your dash, where the felt tray would be, and notice the big metal bar in the back.

-This isn't necessary, but I taped the magnetic pad to this bar for added (or reduced, not sure :)) magnetization, and taped it to the bar.

-Simply place the GPS antenna on this area, preferably as level as possible. It will go under the plastic black bar, but that is plastic and A-OK.

-Then just route it down to the radio area, and stuff the bundle of wires to the side and you're set.

-You're going to have to work hard to stuff everything in the back. I was informed that alot of the wires can be stuffed under and behind the bottom tray, towards the ash tray. There's a pretty deep hole.

-The Metra black box can fit in a nice spot to the right of it. Perfect fit.

-It's not the cleanest, but this is by far the best I could do. Much better than how I originally had it all put away. It's a little hard to connect the power/wire/antenna plugs, but the unit fits much better and with less wires covering the fan.

Step 8: Reinstalling
-I forgot to take pictures for this step, but it's self explanatory. Plug everything back in. I get questions about the radio ANTENNA PLUGS. You don't need the smaller one. Just plug the big one into the D3.

Step 9: Turn it on and admire your hard work!!
-Here's some pictures of the finished product. As you can see, the gaps are not noticable.

DONE!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah red is right and white is left. I get mine in next monday! I'm sure I'll use this minus the metra kit

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K what about the grounding question? Basically it's this:

The D3 has a wire that needs to be grounded, and has a metal spade to attacth to a bolt or whatever. The metra unit also as a grounding wire that i need to connect to the D3. I was told that the metra wire will be automatically grounded by the cars harness.

So i wire tapped into the D3 ground instead of cutting off the spade and connecting the 2 ends. So basically it will be grounded with the metal spade, then the same connection will be grounded with the harness. Silly question, but this will be OK?

The screen protector was bought from ebay. the seller was ScreenPatronus. I havent put it on yet.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
So i wire tapped into the D3 ground instead of cutting off the spade and connecting the 2 ends. So basically it will be grounded with the metal spade, then the same connection will be grounded with the harness. Silly question, but this will be OK?
YES
You can ground everything to the ground cable of the OEM harness, or ground it to the metal, or have one grounded to the cable and the other grounded to the metal. Doesn't matter.

Nice write up btw, you have way to much time =)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually i didn't have much time last night. i sacrificed sleep to do the wiring. my happiness kept me awake :) you got another PM hehe, sorry so many questions.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
What does the RCA of black, white, purple and green on the metra say?
Also tape or heat shrink all the cables you wont be using, like the speaker wires.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does the RCA of black, white, purple and green on the metra say?
Also tape or heat shrink all the cables you wont be using, like the speaker wires.
It just says, attach purple to the left front output of the headunit. white to the left rear output, etc. So my problem is I don't know which is left and right, and I couldnt find it in the D3. I looked at my home stereo though, and it had white labeled as left, so I went with that.

Do you mean tape or heatshrink them together? or cover the ends. I already bundled up unused wires. Should i tape the ends and stuff?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Does anybody know if this setup will work in a 01 is300. I desperately need to find answers to this because my stock head unit is about to fail on me. Will the plugs fit together using the metra harness on the 01. Sorry for hacking your thread. Some one please pm me or any info would be great.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anybody know if this setup will work in a 01 is300. I desperately need to find answers to this because my stock head unit is about to fail on me. Will the plugs fit together using the metra harness on the 01. Sorry for hacking your thread. Some one please pm me or any info would be great.
I believe it is possible. Endless attempted to answer your question in one of the other threads you asked this in i think.

QUESTION: anybody have the D3 and the JDM dash kit? During my test fit i noticed a gap on the sides between the two. How do I cover that up? :(

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have an 01, and I bypassed the amp, metra wasn't available back then.
You just have to reroute some wires. If Ashhong scans the wiring diagram for the metra, I'm sure i can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It just says, attach purple to the left front output of the headunit. white to the left rear output, etc. So my problem is I don't know which is left and right, and I couldnt find it in the D3. I looked at my home stereo though, and it had white labeled as left, so I went with that.

Do you mean tape or heatshrink them together? or cover the ends. I already bundled up unused wires. Should i tape the ends and stuff?
You should be ok then.
tape of heatshrink, what ever you prefer, there's just way toooo many wires back there, I taped them all up including covering the ends.

·
Registered
191 Posts
congrats on ur new TV. looks great.

only think im kinda nervous about is the wire tap. They do tend to cut the wire all the way tru and make u have a bad connection. just make sure so if ur sounds ever quits on u make sure to check that.

it happend to me on my 2g DSM and i went crazy looking for why i was not working and i saw the wire tap cut tru the wire and i was not working, but when i tapped the wire it would work. I noticed that the way was cut all the way tru and not getting any power so i just tieded it togets like tru a loop and the solderd it together and heat shrank it also.

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUESTION: anybody have the D3 and the JDM dash kit? During my test fit i noticed a gap on the sides between the two. How do I cover that up? :(

..Have the D3 and JDM dash kit and yes there is a very small gap. :( After a day or two you want even notice it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
here's some help on the rca's

Metra Harness---->D3 Harness
White- White of Front Output
Grey- Red of Front Output
Green- White of Rear Output
Purple- Red of Rear Output

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Updated partially.

Had a scare when i was testing the unit. My left component wasnt working, but the tweeter was. I checked all the connections, and no go. I slammed the door and voila...weird. If it happens again ill have to check the speaker connections.

Heres a pic of the gap..everybody else has this?

Is it not noticeable when you put it all in?

Also, where the HELL did you guys put all the wires?! My god, i dont know how im going to fit it all behind AND the stupid metra box....

1 - 20 of 179 Posts