Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Okay, I did a search on this using a few different ways, but couldn't find a clear answer....

What do I do to clean the cone Air Filter on my Injen Generation 1 Intake?

I'm wondering what "around the house" substances I can use to clean it properly? And in which way is it the most effective?

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Go and buy the K&N filter recharge kit and follow the directions on the box. You can buy it at any Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
OK... i just figgered this out last weekend...arguably the BEST method i have EVER used to clean Cotton gause air filter media....

This started because i have an SRT intake w/a AFE filter it is a great filter & i was cleaning it the usual way spray on the cleaner let it sit.. .rinse it out... blah blah... it seemed to work OK... but i could ALWAYS still see dirt & crap stuck into the filter down deep in the grooves/pleats... this was pissing me off... so i cleaned it three times the last time ...
soak with filter cleaner..let sit, .rinse...
soak again w simple green, let sit in the HOT sun...& rinse...
then AGAIN, soak with with orange glow cleaner & simple green then let sit & rinse....

STILL there was dirt & bug parts & oil grime down in the pleats & even at the ends of the outside pleats..... :pissed: :pissed: WTF!! & you DO NOT want to blast it from the inside with a water or air hose.. .you wil ldamage the cotton that needs to stay in good shape to filter properly....

finally i had an idea......

I got a small bucket... dumped two scoops of that Oxy clean crap /powder in it & then placed the filter in there finally i poured two $1.39 2 liter bottles of CLUB SODA in the bucket........

WELL!!! that shit bubbled &foamed up almost Instantly & this bright yellow greasy film & TONS of crap just freaking JUMPED out of the filter gauze!!!!! the foam was all topped with this yellow filter oil & dirt & grime & bug detritus .. .it was amazing that all this crap was in there after cleaning it traditionally 3 times..... the Cliub soda was the trick i think the carbonation in that just 'boiled' the crap out of the cotton gauze fibers instantly... SOO much crap came out i ended up using a piece of paper to scoop the nasty crap that was riding on the foam out & dumping it so i would not have to lift the filter up & out thru that shit.... i swirled the filter around in the solution for about 3- 4 minutes & then... just shook it in the solution for a minute & pulled it out... OMG.. .it was CLEANER than NEW!!! I mean it was SPARLKING clean!!!!

ALSO....this is VERY gentle on your filter media.. .( cotton gauze) & is MUCH better than blasting it with water & or air trying to rinse out the crap or blow it out all of which are highly discouraged by the filter makers....

let it dry properly, & then oil it up & reinstall.... i actually have two filters so i do not have to wait on drying & oiling the filter to drive my car when cleaning filters i just keep one all oiled & clean & ready then i can take my time cleaning drying & oiling up the other one....

you can use ANY cleaning degreasing solution I would imagine...it was the Club soda not the 'Oxy clean' that made the HUGE difference.. but feel free to copy this method to a 'T' if you want to....

you are all welcome....!!

:D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!!! That was very informative.

So how long does it take for the entire process including drying? I don't have the luxury of 2 filters so I'd like to know how long it would be that I can't drive the car.

Over night perhaps???

Oh, and also, I would still need to buy that K&N filter Cleaner to get the "oil" right???

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and BTW...

Where did you get your carbon fiber eyelids & how much?? They look hott!

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
the processtakes 10 minutes......15 max...!

PLUS... the filter drys SOOO much faster with out all that residual oil dirt & crap still embedded in the cotton gauze......if ya wait over night no sweat ... on a hot day i'd guess half an hour or less...?? depends....

you still need to have filter oil to reoil the filter when u are done drying it. It can be any filter oil,.... does NOT have to be K&N.....

Then it takes a little while for the oil to capillary thru the fibers... but over all i saved about an hour in time at least..over doing these the OLD way... & i always felt like it was NOT really cleaned as it should be ...

thanks for the props.... CF eyelids are available thru several places & sources here.. check yer PM....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts