Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I travel a lot during the weekend, I have a lot of bug residue and chips on the headlight and foglight. Does anyone have a tip to clean them up? Can I use a bug removal liquid.

·
Registered
69 Posts
you can use a clay bar, from someone like Zaino. It removes bugs, tar, and such from my paint so I am sure it will work well on the light covers...

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
I would not recommend the use of a clay bar on plastic. Their is a verrrrry good chance of scratches occuring quite easily. This may sound stooooopid, but try WD-40 on a rag. It removes tar and bugs really well and its a lubricant so it does not promote friction which is what will scratch. Then get yourself the Expel light kit. Its easy to install and the crap washes off really easily. It will protect those expensive lenses from the chips also. Their is also a company that you can send the lenses to and they will buff and polish them to a factory new finish the applt the scotchcal film for you. If you need replacement I would recommend the after-market tinted ones as they are like 600 bucks for a pair compared to 1200 each at the dealer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys.
Lisnup.. what is the name of the company that buff and polish the headlight?
Do you also have Expel light kit on your car? How easy is the installment? Did you install them by yourself?
Actually, I am really interested in the whole set (including hood and bumper). Since I live in the midwest area, there is no place that can install them
. It sucks. And I don't think I can install them by myself.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
I have to check into that company again, but its 1 of the makers of the kits. I did the xpel kit myself and it was not that bad. The headlights and foglights are easy as is the hood, rear bumper, and door handles. The mirrors were tricky as you have to cut the film to get the wrikles out. The front Fascia is not bad as long as you have someone there to help you hold and aline it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used something called "Turtle Wax Bug remover" (I think !!!! I didn't buy it, I got it from my older brother)

Anyway, it seems to works pretty well too.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have the xpel headlight kit also and it work perfect. It was fairly easy to install too. McGuiars make a plastic cleaner that will get all the bug guts and fine scratches out then put the xpel kit on... you'll be glad you did.

Lisnup65 - did you buy the rear bumper piece from xpel pre-cut or did you just buy bulk material and cut it your self? thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bruce is right, use simple Green, dilute it with water 1:5. I have used WD40 for the tar and bug stain and it worked great on paint and plstic. Spray on the stain, wipe it off and then wash the area with car wash soap. If you are worry about that WD40 will eat the paint of plastic, try it in a small area first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts