Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
there is an entry point alongside the drain plug under the transmission casing that allows the level to be checked, but it is not intended to be a driver check item.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Any one know how to check the transmission fluid level? I try to find answer, but no luck.
the second gen IS automatic is a sealed transmission. There's no dipstick and it does not require any routine servicing.

If you ever had a repair or something that caused a loss of fluid you would restore to the proper level using this procedure (which is basically to fill until some comes out of the overflow plug hole):

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the second gen IS automatic is a sealed transmission. There's no dipstick and it does not require any routine servicing.

If you ever had a repair or something that caused a loss of fluid you would restore to the proper level using this procedure (which is basically to fill until some comes out of the overflow plug hole):
You mean we never need to change the Tranny fluid, even is at 123,000Km?

Also, how to get the procedure manual?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You mean we never need to change the Tranny fluid, even is at 123,000Km?

Also, how to get the procedure manual?

Thanks.
Not only do you not need to, it's physically impossible to change more than 10-15% or so of it at any time.

It's a sealed transmission with lifetime fluid.

I attached the page with how to refill (using the overflow method) in my earlier post, just click on the attached picture and it has all the steps/diagram/info there.

The same info also shows you how little fluid you can remove even if you drop the pan entirely (only about 1.5L out of a system that holds like 9)... hence why you can't change the fluid...there's no way to remove even a quarter of it (short of taking the entire thing apart...and even then you'll only get about 1/3 (removing the valve body) or a bit under half (removing the torque converter)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bummer! I feel jipped! I was at the dealer and I was charged $180 to replace my ATF. The Service Advisor made it seem really important, and I fell for it! I called trying to cancel it, unfortunately, the service has been done on my IS250.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Bummer! I feel jipped! I was at the dealer and I was charged $180 to replace my ATF. The Service Advisor made it seem really important, and I fell for it! I called trying to cancel it, unfortunately, the service has been done on my IS250.
Heh... well, congrats, you just got about 10% of your fluid changed!

(which about how much pulling the drain plug will get ya)

Assuming you're in the US though I'd probably go back to him with the owners manual in hand and ask why he just billed you for a service the manual explicitly states is never required and shouldn't be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will write a letter to both the dealer and Lexus. Hopefully I get something out of it, like a free oil change at the very least.

They fixed the cranking noise when I start my engine for free (covered under warranty), and then got pressured for the transmission oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When to change transmission fluid

So when do I actually need to change the transmission fluid if there is nothing wrong (I guess)?

I took my 2012 Lexus IS250 to a mechanic for oil change and they told me that the brake and transmission fluids need to be flushed and changed immediately. I checked the brake fluid and looks like it's clear and full so I guess they wanted to just charge me for the extra service that I don't need. But how can I be sure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
and don’t bring your car to oil change shop to change your transmission oil. They can just put generic transmission oil, you want factory brand or red line other premium brand if it’s available to keep away from problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts