Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 643 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm veering off the original topic of Main gauge cluster and ignition ring lights into climate control. There's another posting for that, but I'll update both topics just in case.

I've uploaded additional pics of the cigarette lighter bulb and shifter bulb. The shifter was a bit tough to remove. Pulling real hard to pry it out seemed like I was about to break something. Not sure what position was best, but I believe I moved the shifter to neutral as nyczzzjohn posted. In any case you do need to put a lot of effort to yank it out. Unless I'm doing it the hard way, and should have removed other pieces, I just pulled it off once the top ashtray console was removed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You'll become LED obsessed, as I have. Once you replace the main gauge cluster and key ring, you'll probably hit the climate controls, then the driver and passenger doors (also replacing the red cover with clear covers off a 2001 ES 300. Check my previous posts or my link to find out the part #). You'll probably change the dome lights and vanity lights next, which for now I've skipped. I'm stuck at this point because I've already replaced the ashtray and shifter bulbs. Too bad the cigarette lighter is a permanent bulb. I haven't felt like splicing the wires and replacing with an LED at this point.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You'll become LED obsessed, as I have. Once you replace the main gauge cluster and key ring, you'll probably hit the climate controls, then the driver and passenger doors (also replacing the red cover with clear covers off a 2001 ES 300. Check my previous posts or my link to find out the part #). You'll probably change the dome lights and vanity lights next, which for now I've skipped. I'm stuck at this point because I've already replaced the ashtray and shifter bulbs. Too bad the cigarette lighter is a permanent bulb. I haven't felt like splicing the wires and replacing with an LED at this point.
Hey x-man wer did u get the clear lenses 4 the doors no one site Lextasy that has them really trying to avoid buying them from that ripp off site any help? thanxs!!!!

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Hey x-man wer did u get the clear lenses 4 the doors no one site Lextasy that has them really trying to avoid buying them from that ripp off site any help? thanxs!!!!
Its a stock feature for the 01 ES300. Its a direct bolt on replacement:p

I have it and luv it:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
what is the little bulb used for? right next to the #24 bulb on the right side, mine broke, well i dont have a bulb there
Is this a question for me? If you're talking about the first picture I show, the little bulb is a #74 bulb. It's in the key ring, ashtray, and shifter. That bulb is the one removed from the key ring. You may have to shave it in the keyring, and absolutely have to shave it in the ashtray and shifter.

I do want to comment that the #74 bulb I used does not have a wide angle. You may not get the brightness desired. The bulb is from superbrightleds.com
It's white and I got the look I intended to get.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is this a question for me? If you're talking about the first picture I show, the little bulb is a #74 bulb. It's in the key ring, ashtray, and shifter. That bulb is the one removed from the key ring. You may have to shave it in the keyring, and absolutely have to shave it in the ashtray and shifter.

I do want to comment that the #74 bulb I used does not have a wide angle. You may not get the brightness desired. The bulb is from superbrightleds.com
It's white and I got the look I intended to get.
lol sry i was reffering to the gauge cluster pic, but that is the bulb im talking about,

·
Registered
157 Posts
be careful and take your time when doing this mod b/c i dropped one of the 3 gauge cluster screws inside and lost it :( i was rushing and therefore take your time don't make my mistake :oops: . now my cluster is loose when press the button to check my car's mileage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
be careful and take your time when doing this mod b/c i dropped one of the 3 gauge cluster screws inside and lost it :( i was rushing and therefore take your time don't make my mistake :oops: . now my cluster is loose when press the button to check my car's mileage.
Damn. I say try to find a replacement at Home Depot. It's just a screw. And yes, I agree about being careful. My amateur dumbass has scraped up the center console area uninstalling and reinstalling several times. Find a way to be careful or somehow protect the console area to reduce scuffing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i've had a few dropped screws in my car (and perhaps in my brain) while doing several repairs. i picked up an extendable magnet from home depot and it's saved my butt many many times since. while doing this mod, i managed to drop the screw as well, but was able to fish it back out with the magnet.

that tool was one of the best $5 investments that i've ever made.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I remember when i had a 97 camry and i hated that damn stock green colored dash... so what did i do? I bought all new bulbs and made it "hyper white"... definately much better..

I remember when i got my first is300 back in 2001... there were only two ways to do this dash change back then... get new bulbs that were colored... or weld on some LEDs.. and that was it..

Its amazing that only a few years later.. we have all these LED bulbs that fit seriously ANY dang size and shape... you can just plug them in and VIOLA! DONE! and CLEAN! No welding...

insane i tell you..

So i did this mod just now with the Blue LEDs in the dash and the blue led in the key ring... My 2005 indigo ink pearl looks great.

.... I love it..

I can feel the mod bug creeping back up.. doh!

81 - 100 of 643 Posts