Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I completed my V160 swap, and couldn't find ANY info on the ABS to Speedo rewire. So here is a How-To (sorta).

All 01 IS's use the ABS for speed signal to the ECU, therefore when switching to a manual (v160) on these cars, the speedo is NOT off. Its already using ABS for the speed signal. If you have ANY year Auto and are doing the conversion, you also will NOT have to worry about this rewire because the Auto's use the ABS for the Dash as well. This rewire only applies to to Stock 5SPD IS's doing this conversion. Make sense? Lets proceed.

I would recommend you to not waste your time wiring the stock V160 speed sensor in any application on the V160. IT WILL be off; period. Don't waste your time, JUST do the rewire.

I'm not going to get into the Logistics of taking apart the dash running a wire, soldering, etc. etc. I'm basically just going to give the pinout of what to wire and where. Okay? If your performing the swap, I'm just going to speculate that you know enough basic wiring/mechanics to get this job done. :)

On to the Show -

First off. The ABS&TRAC computer is located below the steering wheel. Its black with 4 plugs on it. Sitting in its installed position you are going to find the plugs go from Top to Bottom. The plug we are interested in is the second plug from the top. This is the connector we are going to find the 'Speed Out Pulse' which we will feed to the Dash.

Here is the ABS Pinout-

Highlighted is the actual Pulse generation Pin

As you can see, this is where we are tapping into our speed signal. The connector is probably NOT going to have a wire coming out of it, in this location. I stole a pin from a non-used connector in my dash, and added it to the connector. Once this is done, run this a wire pinned to this connector to the back of the gauge cluster.

At the back of the gauge cluster you are going to find 2 connectors. Our only focus is on the Larger of the two. In the image I've highlighted the pin.

The wire at this pin is Red/Yellow. Feed the speed pulse from the ABS ECU to this wire. CUT this wire from the rest of the factory harness (do not SPLICE in your newly ran wire, make a solitary connection.) So it should go from the ABS ECU straight to the Cluster.

Here's a diagram for those of us, picture driven (educated):

That about sums it up.

NOTE for reference: Pin A13 on the back of the cluster is a converted voltage out for the Speed signal, and this wire (White/Blue) feeds the ECU its Speed signal.

I hope this helps someone looking for this info, or needing to do this rewire to have a true speedo/MPG gauge again.

Thanks for the read. Feel free to PM with an questions, or additional info if i missed something.

Anthony

Attachments

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
How long was the wire you used to do this? From S16/2 to Connector A/12?

·
Registered
820 Posts
This is an awesome post! Thanks so much for this! I was about to order the digital box, but this seems much easier and makes more sense anyways. I wonder why they would even make the speed sensor different with the manual cars?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice work! was wondering that the signal from the abs-ecu is the same as the signal from the transmission speed sensor. But if it works... :) No more need for additional devices to adjust the transmission signal.
The cluster gets the speed information first, from there it`s forwarded to the engine-ecu, that`s right.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Awesome I will have to do this my speedo is off

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I wonder why they would even make the speed sensor different with the manual cars?
Auto's USE the ABS for the Vehicle speed. They don't have a Vehicle Speed Sensor in the Trans; instead, they have a Transmission Speed Sensor (Used by the ECU for shifting).

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
O man. This post is full of win. Just what I needed. Was about to order the dakota box. This is so much better!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No one ever researced and did this conversion before? Everyone knew about it; I'm surprised!! Glad i could help!

Please let me know your experience with the rewire.. Feedback is always great!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I've always known the auto's pull their speedo from the ABS speed sensor, although it never occured to me to try to convert it on a manual.

+rep to you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its the exact way the Auto IS's get their speed signal; what is there to confirm? Also, IVE done this, and it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
This mod ROCKS!

I did this mod last night. Quick and easy 30 min job.

My speedo work flawlessly as of this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks antISanISfreak. I already sent rep your way earlier.

This mod would work for basically any tranny swap for the manual IS300s. Whether W58, R154, V160, v161...doesn't matter. No more ripping apart the transmission to change the speedo ring gears.

As an aside - the ABS based speed seems to make the speedo more 'fluid' if you will. Seems to go through some smoothing filter whereas the tranny based reading was more pure. No biggy, just something I noticed. I wonder what the speedo reads when I spin the rear tires at speed now. Will have to try later ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
This mod ROCKS!
I wonder what the speedo reads when I spin the rear tires at speed now.
It won`t care, because the speed signal "generator" (from ABS-ECU) only uses the front wheel sensors

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It won`t care, because the speed signal "generator" (from ABS-ECU) only uses the front wheel sensors
I believe you may be inccorrect, as the ECU uses all wheels do differentiate a Slip from normal driving for the Trac Control.

Its not JUST an ABS system, its ALSO a TRAC ECU which watches ALL 4 wheels.

Same reason TRAC has to be off to run on a Dyno - i.e. Front wheels stationary, rear wheels driving = Slip, and activates the Trac system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe you may be inccorrect, as the ECU uses all wheels do differentiate a Slip from normal driving for the Trac Control.

Its not JUST an ABS system, its ALSO a TRAC ECU which watches ALL 4 wheels.

Same reason TRAC has to be off to run on a Dyno - i.e. Front wheels stationary, rear wheels driving = Slip, and activates the Trac system.
Of course the ABS/TRC/VSC system uses all 4 wheel sensors for their operations; but in case of generating the speed signal for the speedo, it only uses the 2 from the front wheels. I have tested it after i installed the manual gearbox, lifted the rear wheels and shifted through all gears. speedometer shows zero all the time. (my skid control ECU is 02 w/ VSC, the car was AT)

But you could easily check that out on your MTs

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have done this as well, and can say without a doubt that my vehicle, lifted in the rear, i HAD speedo operation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have done this as well, and can say without a doubt that my vehicle, lifted in the rear, i HAD speedo operation.
Oh, I didn`t expect that :suspiciou Seems that there are different methods depending on model/year

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I'll just have to test it out later and spin my wheels at speed while watching the speedo :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts