Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello wonderful community!
Yesterday morning I awoke to a lovely crunching sound of my passenger door. One of the the neighbors in the apt complex lovingly backed into my car and quickly sped off... Luckily, " I know where he lives "
After getting all in the insurance stuff settled, Geico hooked it up with about 2200 for the fix.

Now I need advice on how i should take care of this..

A. Take the check to a body shop (preferably a decent one that I may have a connection with) and let them handle it..

B. Find a parts car on CL and swap the doors and keep the rest of the check for life and things. (How hard would this be to remove, and align the new one properly on my own?) (also, does a door with non matching vin turn people off for resale?)

C. Some other idea that's way better than A and B.

Figure 1A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would definitely go for option B if it's just the door. Switching the door handles (to have matching door locks) is a bit tricky, but you can find pretty decent how-to's on this forum. You will also have to remove the front fender to reach the bolts, and to remove the fender you also have to remove the front bumper. Not hard, just a bit of work. The new door shouldn't be too hard to line up, and you can always re-adjust if you aren't happy with the first result.

There's just a slight possibility the color won't match a 100%, but a good polish of the "new" door and surrounding panels will fix that. As far as I know there isn't any numbers on the doors to match with anything, and if there are I don't think anyone will ever check it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definitely go for option B if it's just the door. Switching the door handles (to have matching door locks) is a bit tricky, but you can find pretty decent how-to's on this forum. You will also have to remove the front fender to reach the bolts, and to remove the fender you also have to remove the front bumper. Not hard, just a bit of work. The new door shouldn't be too hard to line up, and you can always re-adjust if you aren't happy with the first result.

There's just a slight possibility the color won't match a 100%, but a good polish of the "new" door and surrounding panels will fix that. As far as I know there isn't any numbers on the doors to match with anything, and if there are I don't think anyone will ever check it.

Good to know! Sound like a nice long afternoon of bonding with a buddy. I don't think I'll have to swap handles, as its the passenger side. (unless the autolocks wont read on the other door possibly?)
And good note on the polish. My cars paint has seen better days, so I'm assuming the new door may be noticeably cleaner

As for the numbers, my car has a vin badge on all 5 doors. (apparently, theres even secret vin numbers all over cars that the authorities know about. In the event some shady folks do some shady things and scratch off the vins.. theres always more)
But hopefully nobody will care THAT much if one is different.

Thanks for the quick advice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you replace the door, there is no need to change the locks or anything (I've replaced my doors too). It is a lot of work sure, but nothing too hard.

Thanks, good to know.. Did you do the whole thing yourself, or have a helping hand?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts