Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did this today. I didn't think they were that bad, until I finished one and could compare the before/after side by side.

Last time I did it was about a month ago.

·
Registered
53 Posts
how exactly did you polish them? what about the inside?
what did you use?

what about the front lights?

I just got my car and tring to figure out tips and tricks to clean it up.:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
can we see some pics before and after it you have any? mine arent bad but would like to see the difference

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have some after pics. Didn't take pics before hand.

The first time I did it, about a year ago, I used that Meguiar's 2 step product for clear plastic. I didn't last that long, so I bought some Plastixx. It's about the same as the other shit but cheaper and only one step.

I only spend about 5 minutes per light. Any more would be a waste of time since I do this at least every couple months or so.

I've used this on my headlights but they really didn't need it. I've also used this on the super-yellowed lights on my girl's TL and it helped out, but those things really need a wet sanding.

I wonder what's with these damn things. When I see an IS300 on the road I always check out the trunk lights, and usually they look like shit. And unless it's a modded car I also suspect the ones that do look good are '05s.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ever 3-4 weeks iwould say

·
Registered
53 Posts
what about the actual Big lights on the sides? do you polish those too?

and i got a question about yellowish lights, is that usually build up on top or the inside of it?

and where can i get this polisher?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
the center trunk lights can not stand up to the elements. You have to polish them pretty often to get the same shine. They don't have a outer plastic cover.
I don't know if you mean that they're not covered like the outer light. That's obvious. But other cars with regular, non-covered, red tail lights don't cloud up once a month like our trunk lights. I don't understand why they do that.

what about the actual Big lights on the sides? do you polish those too?

and i got a question about yellowish lights, is that usually build up on top or the inside of it?

and where can i get this polisher?

I've polished all the plastics on my car at least a couple times. The only lights that need such regular maintenance are the trunks.

This product may work on your headlights, but if they're really bad you'll need to wet sand them. There's alot of info on this site you can easily find.

This is the 2 part cleaner/polish:

...which was cool, but this stuff is cheaper, faster, and works just as well (for this application) and can be bought at most parts stores:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine are pretty bad right now, not awful, stilll look good at night, but are pretty nasty. It's an 02. I'm gettin this polish right quick!

·
Registered
387 Posts
i just wax them when i wax the car and remove it with an orbital. works the best thus far, meguires.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is the stuff i use. works great on plastics

novuspolish

i've tried the PlastX stuff and i wasnt impressed with the results.

3 part polish, eh?

When you say you weren't impressed with the Plastx, do you mean it wasn't shiny enough or didn't last long?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I polished the tails on my '01 about 5 months ago. 1st time, but a noticeable difference. I wet sanded them with some 2000 real quick & then I just used car wax. Meguiar's or whatever was handy. Big difference though. I never knew. I've use the NOVUS stuff before, and I like that, I just couldn't find my bottle of it that I have laying around here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Howd you do it, whad you use on them? They came out good!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wet sanded with 1500, and then polished with the PC @ #6 with plastix..

EDIT* IMO the polish isn't very important when working with plastic, almost anything will work..

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
3 part polish, eh?

When you say you weren't impressed with the Plastx, do you mean it wasn't shiny enough or didn't last long?
well i tried it on my headlights when they had some scratches. PlastX didnt do much for them. the Novus stuff worked better and was able to take alot of the scratches out.after i polished them i covered them with the 3m stuff.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
I don't know if you mean that they're not covered like the outer light. That's obvious. But other cars with regular, non-covered, red tail lights don't cloud up once a month like our trunk lights. I don't understand why they do that.

I've polished all the plastics on my car at least a couple times. The only lights that need such regular maintenance are the trunks.

This product may work on your headlights, but if they're really bad you'll need to wet sand them. There's alot of info on this site you can easily find.

This is the 2 part cleaner/polish:

I use the 3M stuff...and oddly enough the bottle looks exactly like that. its good stuff, I usually do mine every other wash, so 2-3 times a month

1 - 20 of 21 Posts