Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread regarding a CHP ticket for Greddy exhaust, SRT intake, etc. makes me wonder what is really street legal in CA? I always assumed if this stuff is being sold, it must be legal right? But then someone mentioned stickers on mods for it to really be legit.

Anybody know the real truth?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
people sell things cuz they can sell things, not necessarily cuz they're legal. on most retail websites, there's a clause that says something along the lines of "check local laws for compatibility" or something, meaning that the product might not be legal in your state. also, there are disclaimers that say "for off road use only" (for example, xerd's header and racepipe.)
just a rule of thumb, in CA, if it's aftermarket and designed to make your car go faster, its probably illegal due to strict emissions laws in CA. there are very few legal speed mods for CA people - off the top of my head, K&N and injen intakes are ok, most axle back exhausts are ok (as long as they're under 95? dB i believe).
all in all, its a matter of whether you want to weigh the benefit of having good mods vs. the risk of getting caught and the hassles that that entails.

-eric

btw - this is in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How would you actually get caught using these things on the road though? I've never had a cop tell me to pop the hood.

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
50 states legal doesn't mean they're SOUND legal... :wink:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
off the top of my head, these intakes are legal: (carb stickers)

K&N typhoon and K&N FPIK

also, all drop in filters are legal too..

Intakes that will look stock and probably never have problems (but arent "legal") are:

JOEZ intake pipe and PLP intake

Intakes that arent legal: (no carb cert sticker)

INjen, AEM , SRT, Area 51

INtakes that just suck monkey nuts:

Weapon R
:lol:

Exhausts need to be under 95 decibles to be considered legal. HOwever, a cop can ticket you if he really wants, regardless of how much proof you might have. (yes, that totally sucks ass). THe HKS hiper and Drager2 come with paper work that state they are under 95 decibles (although some people might think its a bit louder :D ). The L tuned exhaust comes with paper work from Lexus saying the same thing.

I am not too sure about Greddy, cuz its kinda loud. I know my Apexi N1 cat back is definately super loud with no silencer on. (but god, that sound just kicks ass!)
The blitz is pretty quiet.. you shouldnt ever had a problem with it (despite the fact my friend Redlex15 got a ticket with it in Alhambra.. dam anal cops)

The other thing about exhausts is that once you get a ticket with it, you are suppose to get it "tested" to see if it really is over 95 decibles... now this is where the problems are.. in Cali, there are almost NO places to get this done. SO what does that really mean? It means we have to take it off, and put it back to stock to get it checked. We get the shaft on car parts/ after market modifications.

Header will never be legal, and Y pipes (xerd) as well.
Reason being that they remove catalytic converters which is a no-no according to pollution laws.. but hey.. thats your call..

remember, as UCLA_is300 once said:
"Its all legal till you get caught"

hope that helps some

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow :eek: Thanks for the replies. This was kind of an eye opener.

Another tidbit on the term "legal". Basically, legal to sell and legal to drive are two different animals which kind of sucks from a consumer perspective IMHO. Apparently you can get away with selling stuff that isn't street legal because you can use this stuff on private property (i.e. tracks) and that is ok. So much for my being well informed, heh? :(

I have the L-Tuned exhaust and I didn't find any papers or stickers in the box? I also agree that the PLP intake is virtually impossible to detect. You would have to know what the stock look is. Kudos to Pro Lex. I'm sure this was a factor in their approach.

Last item, I'm having the SAFC-II on tomorrow. Is that legal? Is it going to mess up my smog in CA?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts