Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the Chicago Auto Show. As many of you have probably heard by now, the preliminary stats on the 2002 IS3 reference a 6.5 0-60 time. What's that about 6-tenths of a second quicker than the auto?

Also, I didn't see anything on gas mileage, have you heard any rumors of improvement with the manual? I wonder how much more money it will be without the Navigation system option.

How much more would any of you pay for the manual? By the way, the red looks hot in person!

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by Michael:
Just got back from the Chicago Auto Show. As many of you have probably heard by now, the preliminary stats on the 2002 IS3 reference a 6.5 0-60 time. What's that about 6-tenths of a second quicker than the auto?

Also, I didn't see anything on gas mileage, have you heard any rumors of improvement with the manual? I wonder how much more money it will be without the Navigation system option.

How much more would any of you pay for the manual? By the way, the red looks hot in person!

Anyone, Bueller? Anyone??

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
By mechanics, an automatic will be slower than a manual and have worse gas mileage. Why? Because the automatic uses engine power (which would otherwise pass through the tranny to the drive wheels) to shift. This in turn causes the engine to work harder which causes a decrease in gas mileage.

It's definitely worth 0.6 seconds, btw. And the red is SEXY! =P

------------------
2k EBP Civic SI
Working on an IS300 lease...
http://webguy.dcaff.com

·
Registered
571 Posts
I raised this issue earlier. The manual should be cheaper than an automatic, but the caniving folks at Lexus might market the IS300 manual as something different, like a "high performance" special edition version with extras added when all it really is is just a IS300 with manual.

It'd be ghetto if they charged more, but I would still get it. If it was priced lower, than that's just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by vvtipwr:
I raised this issue earlier. The manual should be cheaper than an automatic, but the caniving folks at Lexus might market the IS300 manual as something different, like a "high performance" special edition version with extras added when all it really is is just a IS300 with manual.

It'd be ghetto if they charged more, but I would still get it. If it was priced lower, than that's just icing on the cake.

But it's NOT just an IS300 with a manual, it's got a stiffer suspension, 18" wheels, perhaps a couple other changes that will make it possible for them to sell it for MORE $$$. I *hope* it doesn't turn out that way, but you know how marketting people are... =P

------------------
2k EBP Civic SI

·
Registered
349 Posts
I, personally, would not pay more. I will get it if it is priced same as the 2001 model was priced last August/September. If they can justify the increase in price due to bigger wheels, stiffer suspension, etc. I may think about it. If on the other hand, they will assign the manual IS a special code name like “special edition”, “high performance”, “type-R”, “Super Sport”, or some $hit like that and charge for that, then forget it!

·
Registered
571 Posts
lexus could stick to more "ethical" standards by making 5spd cheaper or a no-cost option and then making the stiffer suspension and 18'' optional (which I think they are). It would just be so much better if the tranny, suspension and wheels are independent of one another and don't require us to buy everything as a package.

But to have to make us pay extra for a manual is super sleezy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think vvtipwr is right on. The manual may be a no cost option, but it will come standard with stiffer suspensions and 18" wheels that are additional costs. I think the price will be a couple G's higher than the standard model.

Originally posted by vvtipwr:
lexus could stick to more "ethical" standards by making 5spd cheaper or a no-cost option and then making the stiffer suspension and 18'' optional (which I think they are). It would just be so much better if the tranny, suspension and wheels are independent of one another and don't require us to buy everything as a package.

But to have to make us pay extra for a manual is super sleezy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two cars stock in acceleration runs, the manual is usually always faster. However, automatic guys can get aftermarket converters which can defnitely drop many tenths off their E.T.
I have an automatic Camaro right now, and I'm planning on putting a 3000 stall converter (motor revs to 6k) with a 2.0 STR. That should drop at least 0.5 off my 1/4. With the IS, since the engine revs a lot higher, it's possible to get a looser converter. Plus, with the lower torque numbers (on my Z28 I'm close to 450ft/lb) you can run a higher STR so you won't blow the tires off on the launch. Maybe something like a 4000 stall speed with 3.5 STR would drop some times real well.
I'm planning on getting an IS, but I want the 5 speed just because I'm done with automatics... been there done that!

------------------
Brian - 98 Camaro Z28 (A4 3.23)
==============
SLP Resonator Exhaust, JBA Headers, Collecter mod, FTRA, Direct Flo lid, Ported MAF, ASP Underdrive Pulley, Kenny Brown SFC's, HD Bilsteins, Ground Control adjustable springs, Hotchkis STB, BMR LCA's & a-PHR, LG Motorsports Sway Bars, Chrome SS wheels, Powerslots, Carbon Fiber badges all around, clear corners, PIAA 1100x driving lights, Corbeau A4 seat and 5 point harness

Best E.T. 13.27 @ 105.3 mph

http://www.norcal-ls1.com/little_brian/

·
Registered
219 Posts
A manual transamission sould definately be cheeper than and automatic. It cost more to make a auto tranny over a manual tranny. It has always been in the way.

------------------
TC
Spectra/Blue
17" Lexus Chome
'01 Nissan Pathfinder

·
Registered
33 Posts
Optional 18's? Good lord...Isn't all the tire popping and wheel bending on the 17's bad enough? That's some crazy stuff.

Plus, the 18's will slow the car down in the 0-60 somewhat.

------------------

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Falken:
Optional 18's? Good lord...Isn't all the tire popping and wheel bending on the 17's bad enough? That's some crazy stuff.

Plus, the 18's will slow the car down in the 0-60 somewhat.

Well since most people are putting 19's on their IS', why not offer sexy 18's stock? =)

------------------
2k EBP Civic SI

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i find it amazing that the only thing ppl seem care about is 0-60 and ¼ mile runs...

there are ppl who'd pay for the stick due to "other factors..."

if you don't understand why then don't worry about the stick cuz you don't need it

·
Registered
11 Posts
I care a lot more than just 0-60's and 1/4 mile times. I have more suspension modifications than HP modifications on my car. I'm dying for a stick right now, which is why I'm getting a new car. I thought I loved the automatic for drag racing, but I'm looking into different things now like more autocrosses and road race events.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by IS JOE:
How much would you guys pay for VVTL-i? and is this something that we could get for the IS in the near future?
Well depends on the gain in performance. It pumped about 40hp on the GTS. I would expect the VVT-Li motor to be in the 265 to 280 figure. If thye ever make in to production. Not that the variable camshift will make all the differences, but they will tune the engine differently as well.

How much will I pay for a 265hp 5 sppd stick IS300? If they upgrade the interior a bit. Stiffer suspension... Less than the S4. Maybe about a little less or the same as the 330.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is this a Lexus claimed 6.5 or an independently tested 6.5... its the difference of either a half second off or a whole second off...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Since the 7.1 was done with a pre-production auto, the 6.5 must have come from a pre-production manual.

Originally posted by F=ma:
Is this a Lexus claimed 6.5 or an independently tested 6.5... its the difference of either a half second off or a whole second off...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts