Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
For the stock 5-speed W58 tranny I believe the recommended limit is 350 RWHP. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another annoying newbie question but if i changed the auto tranny to a stronger one would the ECT still work i know its related to the transmission but would it still work if i rewired a few things?

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
xxsanitysrequiem said:
another annoying newbie question but if i changed the auto tranny to a stronger one would the ECT still work i know its related to the transmission but would it still work if i rewired a few things?
annoying yes you need to search cause everything your asking you could find in 2 seconds if you just took the time to search

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here is a little info on the A650E auto trans (E-shift) in the 01...

Stock hp... I was previously running about 270rwhp on a totally stock trans. It would repeatedly bounce off of the rev limiter under full throttle, until I backed off. If you continuously run the auto under these conditions, YOU WILL BREAK SOMETHING.

I took the car to Toyomoto and had a valve body upgrade done. When lance opened it up, the fluid was discolored and the burnt clutch smell was present. As I said before, the VB upgrade helps. VB upgrade was completed and fluid was changed. I ran 323.9rwhp and the trans shifted fine.
Here is the short list of reputable companies that can perform the VB upgrade:
PF Supercars
Toyomoto
Turboeast
Swift Racing Technologies
There are others that I cannot recall at this time

I am currently running a fully built auto race transmission that PF Supercars built for me. The trans shifts really hard and works perfectly. I have no complaints.... with 478rwhp on pump gas, daily driven and 561rwhp on c16. It always shifts just short of redline. Many people do the v-160 swap (6 speed), but the auto trans if built correctly will shift perfect, everytime... I have owned several manuals and I feel that I will always be faster with the auto.

In short, some auto trans handle from 350rwhp to 450rwhp with only a VB upgrade for years... Some die with 250rwhp... 3rd gear sprag is weak and usually is the one that breaks...

Recommended upgrades...
TBKO ESK... raises line pressure to promote shifting (not neccessary with a VB upgrade) cost somewhere around 250
VB upgrade... gets the car to shift properly with power adders (turbo, supercharger or nitrous) cost from 250-600
Transmission cooler... Cools fluid to extend trans life, esp. helpful with power adders from 50-200
Fully built auto transmission... varies depending on modifications, but they usually entail VB upgrade, new clutches, stronger sprags, etc... from 2500-4000, depending on what you have done

You can optionally add a higher stall torque convertor... This will not really help reliability, but will help 1/4mi times... the stock one can be rebuilt for a higher stall, or you can go with a precision or other brand... from 500-1100

Reactions: BigJoeD

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm im adding intakes and exhaust and stuff so ill just get like 10000 together or so so i can make all the necesary upgrades to the transmission and such before i add the turbo thanks man what do you know about garrett turbos are they reliable? because i cant afford to bring my car into SRT and stuff

·
Registered
287 Posts
Im running a GT35R (Garrett dual ball bearing) and love it... I can't say enough about my current setup other than I love it... You don't need 10g's for the trans... Call up Ray at PF Supercars or Lance at Toyomoto and ask about the fully built auto trans... they are the two cheapest... you could probably get a fully built trans with a torque convertor upgrade and a cooler for like 4grand

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thats cool... get it all together and remember to drive it like you stole it...lol

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
xxsanitysrequiem said:
i have taken the time to search and i cant find it can you give me a link or tell me yourself?
A hint when searching to learn more at least this worked for me

When you search for something about turbos limit it to this forum so you dont pull all the other crap also read everything it pulls up wether it pertains to what you originally were searching for or not you wouldnt believe the amount of threads that cover about 100 different things other then the title.

When i first started on this site i would have 25 different tabs open in firefox just reading for hours.

Do that and youll have better luck on your searches. Happy hunting and good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sadly no one has answered my question before about the ECT if i got all those parts would i still be using the same tranny and ECT would be usable or would it be a new transmission and it would be just auto with no ECT?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm a supra guy and we have the W58 putting about 450 to the ground reliably. I hear the R154 (older version) can be had cheap and will stand up to about 500 at the ground. They are around on ebay for $100-500 depending on the sellers knowledge.....

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
MonStar1120 said:
For the stock 5-speed W58 tranny I believe the recommended limit is 350 RWHP. :)
IS300 5-speed manuals are W55 and not a W58.
W58's are on MKIV N/A Supra's. Slightly longer gearing than the W55.

And manuals of course only came on 2002+
2001 only had automatics which 1yellowturbois stated which is the A605E. Same tranny in the GS400, GS430, SC400's etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts