Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done decent searching before posting this so i hope i'm not repeating. I have:

blitz wheels 18x8 (all 4)
245x40x18 tires (all 4)

Question 1: Any idea on how much max i can lower my IS without rubbing (using springs)?
Question 2: Is tire height the only factor considered in rubbing? Tires have 50% tread left and next tires will be a 35 in fronts (maybe all over), so does that mean for 35's i can go lower?

Some considerations:
a) Tein S-Tech Lowering Spring (1.3 F, 1.57 R drop)
b) basic tein coilovers

CONDITIONS:
a) My IS is a daily driver - so wanna stay as close to stock ride as possible
b) Hate wheel gap - so minimize it as much as possible
c) Want to save $ so avoid fender rolling
d) I HATE suspension noise so pls alarm me if i should stay away from tein coilovers.

thanks all, and i love this forum.

·
Registered
284 Posts
wow, where to begin..

Wheel offset/tire size is a big factor with rubbing. The offset of your wheels will definetly play a role in how low you can go. So, help us help you, and find out what your offsets are for sure. If they're at least +40 to +45 you can go pretty low.
Tein springs of any sort are not going to lower the car much at all (a little over an inch? Why lower at all?) If it's a short drop with relatively stock comfortability in mind the S-techs are a good choice, you're right there.
If you drop to a 35 tire all around, and lower the car on springs, you will have exactly what you stated you hate, plenty of wheel/tire gap. Stick with the 40's if you like a comfortable ride, with 35's you'll feel every pebble on the road.
Honestly, if money is not a concern, I'd say just get a decent set of coilovers (Tein, Tanabe, etcc). They're adjustable, so you can experiment with ride heights and dampening settings to find the perfect setup.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hmm,
Well your not gonna be any kind of "low" with the stechs, but it seems you dont want the harsh ride from coils so you should just pick a different spring.

Everything else latenights pretty much hit dead on

·
Registered
16 Posts
so as I have dropped with eibach pros' and tokico illuminas, 18x8 front with 45mm offset and 18x9 50mm offset would be appropriate?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts