Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now im driving a 1993 toyota camry but around feb or so my parents will help me get a new car,with the money i saved from working and the help of my parents they said i can get a car around the 25-30 mark,im considering the acura tl around 28,500 which comes fully loaded except the navi which i dont need,i know the fully loaded is300 is way out of my range,how much is one without leather and the least options possible?could i get it around 30?and are there even any of these availible or are they all added with options from the dealers..i've been to magnussen(sp?)Lexus in fremont bay area and they all come with leather and a couple options,none i seen without leather etc..sorry its so long..thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
if you want the best car fully loaded for 30K i'd go with the CL-S. i am a loyal IS300 owner myself, but the IS300 without any option is just no fun. but yes you can get an IS300 for slightly above 30,000.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are only 4 options, anyway so it will still be the same car in every other way. Try http://www.carsdirect.com Base model IS300 without sunroof, leather, LSD and heated seats will cost you $30,129

------------------
Tony Mack
'01 SBM IS
'92 Prelude

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
They aren't bringing in very many of the base model cars (cloth seats, no sunroof, etc.) But they do get them. Go to Steven's Creek or Putnam and tell them to put in a "dealer preference" for a base model in your color choice (which may be limited to Black, White or Silver for the base model). They should be able to get you one if you give them a little time. MSRP is over $31K, but you might be able to get them to knock of a few $ if you tell them about your parents pricing constraint.

Keep in mind that a "base" IS300 is still very "loaded" with options including:

Power windows, locks, mirrors, etc.
Automatic Climate Control System.
240watt, 8 speaker, 6CD ("killer") stereo.
215hp inline 6 VVTi engine standard.
Autolevelling HID headlights.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by 93camry:
right now im driving a 1993 toyota camry but around feb or so my parents will help me get a new car,with the money i saved from working and the help of my parents they said i can get a car around the 25-30 mark,im considering the acura tl around 28,500 which comes fully loaded except the navi which i dont need,i know the fully loaded is300 is way out of my range,how much is one without leather and the least options possible?could i get it around 30?and are there even any of these availible or are they all added with options from the dealers..i've been to magnussen(sp?)Lexus in fremont bay area and they all come with leather and a couple options,none i seen without leather etc..sorry its so long..thanks for the help guys
You can get the IS300 (Base Model)for $32-33K. I would'nt see why you want to though. There really aint that much difference for price range. For me for that much, Leather is a must for me. Whats a Lex without leather?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The TL is a great value and a decent car, if you can live with the looks, for the price. Since the economy seems to be slowing down, and inventories are rising across the board, I'm sure you can get a good deal on an IS300. I would guess you can get one for around $32-33K loaded. The TL, of course, would be just a TL. Not nearly as much fun as the IS. It's a long term commitment, so be absolutely sure about it.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like it might be difficult to get into an IS300 at all for $30K if that is the absolute limit (since you said $25-30K). But it also depends upon what you want in a car. The IS300 is going to be more sporty, but since you're driving a Camry right now, even if its a V6, the TL is also going to seem pretty sporty to you. A lot of times people forget how much past experience plays a part in how cars feel to someone. Drive both, you may find you really want the IS, or you may find the TL has everything you need!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm not sure what you're looking for in a car (luxury, comfort, prestige, power, handling, etc.) But if you're figuring on spending around 25-30K, why don't you look at the A4 1.8t? It's very nice car... well balanced sport/luxury/power, etc. Plus if you really wanna go fast, an ECU upgrade can put u at 200hp & >240lb-ft. for around 500 bucks.

But yeah, the TL is a real good value. But it looks too "long". Personally, I like the sporty, compact look of the 3-series/A4/IS300 over the I30/TL look.

[This message has been edited by DJ (edited November 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
257 Posts
here's something interesting if its true. Can't confirm the authenticity of it, but this is something from the rumors board of Temple of Vtec. www.tov.net

"TL Type S within range (!)
Submitted by anonymous on November 28, 2000 at 21:02:50:
I have received word from an anonymous source that the TOV's earlier predictions on a sportier variant of the TL appear to be panning out. A Type S model of the TL is reported to now be listed on the '02 model Vehicle Locators that are provided to Acura dealerships.

No word on when this '02 model will be available. I presume that along with the Type S package, a slight facelift will be included. The current TL is a great car, but I've always been a bit disappointed by the rather bland styling.

Jeff"

Anyway, something like this is in line with what i always heard from the owner and general manager in my days as an Acura dealer. Acura's future direction and design philosophy was going to be "horsepower for the money". That's always a good thing to hear...eh?

I can tell you that when i was dealin acura's...this was something the owner/general manager was always talking about

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you can wait until next April, I would recommend you to get a TL-type S, which would have a sportier looks than the current one and it will have 260 or 270 horsepower for about $30000-$31000. For this price range it should include HID, 6 disc in-dash CD changer(TL will have it for Type S according to someone), 17" rims and tires, heated seats, auto tilt-down right mirror when transmission in Rear, power sunroof, memory power leather seats, 5-speed automatic transmission, security, traction control, vehicle stability assist(this one not sure). Is this enough? TL has high value because it is made in the US so customers could save some money on import tax, which is several thousand dollars.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I've sat in a fabric IS300 before and all I can say is that it is pointless to get that. It feels very uncomfortable and all the lint sticks onto the fabric seats. The white lint really stands out on the black fabric seats. Plus.. the seats are all manual adjustment.. which really turned me off. That car happened to have no sunroof either.. another big turnoff. Leather and sunroof is a must.

(By the way.. I do own a beige leather IS300 w/sunroof. I've wrecked it already..and it still keeps on tickin!)

------------------
White IS300
Houston, TX

·
11,062 Posts
I don't know about the sun roof (hate them myself) but ya gotta have the leather...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
SeattleSheila
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing