Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about how damn sexy IS300's are and why you don't see many of them compared to other Lexus's, etc.

And I honestly think that the IS300 would have sold 1000x better if it was 300HP.

Does anyone agree?

·
Registered
12 Posts
J.El said:
Yea but who cares now, if you want 300horses get an IS350...
That was my dilemma…Hmmm get the 350 for 40K+ with an Auto trans…hurting. Step DOWN into the 250 for the same price as my 300 and get a heaver car that has less HP…OR get a Subaru STI 4WD with 300hp Hmmmm geeeez let me think bye bye Lexus…Maybe I will get another Lexus when I im too old care about performance.

BTW I picked up my 06 STI and OMG! My IS was a push monster but this STI is F#*%ing amazing.

I’m signed up for a Lexus IS350/250 “performance” test drive on an autocross style circuit. After driving my STI this is going to be comical…

·
Registered
656 Posts
The 250 does NOT have less horsepower, as far as we can tell. The 204 we are hearing about is based on a new standard for calculating horses. Do some searching and you will see plenty of threads on it. I think the 250 is going to be powered very similarly to the current IS. Yes, it is heavier, but the engine is more refined, also. I don't think the 250 is going to be a step down at all.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
The IS350 doesn't look half as good as the 300 though. If you want 300hp just get some mods on your IS. Think about it.... IS350 = 40K+ and IS300 = 20-30K depending on the year, etc. etc. Take the extra 10-20K and make that thing rrrealll fast muuahaha.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I don't think the engine would have made much of a difference. Those who wanted the power that badly just did forced induction to the stock IS300. The problem with the IS300 is... it was too small and "un-luxurious" for typical Lexus buyers... and too expensive for the teenagers who idolized it. Although it may have sold a bit more with a more powerful engine... I don't think it would've made that big of a difference overall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
cryostate said:
The 250 does NOT have less horsepower, as far as we can tell. The 204 we are hearing about is based on a new standard for calculating horses. Do some searching and you will see plenty of threads on it. I think the 250 is going to be powered very similarly to the current IS. Yes, it is heavier, but the engine is more refined, also. I don't think the 250 is going to be a step down at all.
Ahhh.. 204 215 220 whatever, anyway you cut it its still overpriced and underpowerd.

cryostate said:
I don't think the 250 is going to be a step down at all
We will see….Muhahahaha :bigSmile:

0-60 7.9 BWhahahaha

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
IS430R said:
Ahhh.. 204 215 220 whatever, anyway you cut it its still overpriced and underpowerd.

0-60 7.9 BWhahahaha
Are you here to just talk shit? Here have some neg rep troll

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
IS430R said:

0-60 7.9 BWhahahaha
There's more to a car than 0-60 times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
would have preferred better gas mileage.

The abysmal gas mileage is the main reason I wouldn't have bought the previous generation IS. Lack of power and a little bit of a cramped cabin would be secondary reasons for me.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
You know what... I was looking at the G35 forums... and alotta people there are saying they are getting around 20 mpg as well. Although the IS300 is obviously not a civic in terms of gas mileage... I think alot of gas usage figures has to do with how you drive the car. The bad thing about the IS300 is... it's so fun to drive that you wanna drive it alot... AND HARD! Hence the low gas mileage. :lol:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
IS430R said:
:bigSmile: :bigSmile: :bigSmile:

Just my opinion…if you don’t like it you can go f**k yourself! :p
Why would you come on a IS website to talk sh1t about is's? You my friend are a damn genious.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Ya, he is an idiot. I hit him with some -rep too. Needs to find a hobby or a girlfriend, Or maybe that sti he "bought" will break down alot compared to our IS's and he can spend his time in his garage fixing it and stuff while we are out cruising. Have fun with that buddy, woulnt trade my is for anything!! ( in its price range of course, Someone wanna trade me for a ferrari straight up ;) ?)

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
MonStar1120 said:
I was just thinking about how damn sexy IS300's are and why you don't see many of them compared to other Lexus's, etc.

And I honestly think that the IS300 would have sold 1000x better if it was 300HP.

Does anyone agree?
That's the million dollar question that will never be answered, we can only speculate now. When the 1st generation IS300 came out and regardless of HP, I would have bought the car anyways. Of course I would have prefered 300hp.

·
Registered
486 Posts
IS430R said:
That was my dilemma…Hmmm get the 350 for 40K+ with an Auto trans…hurting. Step DOWN into the 250 for the same price as my 300 and get a heaver car that has less HP…OR get a Subaru STI 4WD with 300hp Hmmmm geeeez let me think bye bye Lexus…Maybe I will get another Lexus when I im too old care about performance.

BTW I picked up my 06 STI and OMG! My IS was a push monster but this STI is F#*%ing amazing.

I’m signed up for a Lexus IS350/250 “performance” test drive on an autocross style circuit. After driving my STI this is going to be comical…
These are two different cars your are comparing. You obviously have more of a true sports car, if that is your intentions, that's a wonderful purchase. I on the other hand prefer a car that is a little more settle as well as provide some fun while driving. People kill me when they put down the IS300, then compare it to a STI, Evo or WRX, 350z or whatever. The cars really shouldn't really be mentioned in the same conversation. If your were to say , I just gave up my RX-8,then I could understand. Two different trains of thought in the cars expectations. It's funny, nobody seems to mention that most cars in this catagory all seem to have right around the same hp numbers as our IS300, except for the newer Infiniti's and new Acura. Audi, Caddy, BMW 325, Saab all are right around the IS300 in power figures, yet you don't hear the criticisim about those cars. If I wanted a true performance car I would have gotten one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts