Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Simply Curious...Whats you guy's insurance like?

Hello all,
Im 17 and going to be buying an 01-03 (whatever i can get for $11k) in the next few months and i was wondering...

Whats insurance like for you 17-20 year old guys with your IS's? I know it WILL be high, and im totally prepared for that, but im just curious.

Ive called my insurance company but they haven't called me back (ugh) so i figured i would just ask you guys.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
469 Posts
This is what you should do. Ask your parents or any relatives who are older than you(25 and above). Add your name under them and the car. Your insurance should be way cheaper.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
hey Arpus,
i'm in the same situation.

i'm 17 about to purchase an '03 GGP IS300, and the insurance on it for full coverage for 6 months is $2,500.

but, just for liability, it will be close to $600 dollars for 6 months.

·
Registered
392 Posts
holy fuck. That makes me feel so much better now. 2500 wtf
It varies from state to state and individual to individual. California has frankly a pretty high insurance rate in general. But for me, it's about 900 for 6 months with full coverage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If depends on tickets, GA is a middle priced state, IAm not sure what the coverages are in that state because I only selling Insurance in MD,VA,DC.
The easy way to find out is call and get a quote. They can give you a ball park figure. It takes less than 5 mins. It doesn't matter if you have the vin or not. I will tell you that age group is high on insurance for almost any car made 01. We worte a policy for a 19 year old driving a 03 Focus and his rate was 3,100 with no tickets or accidents.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm 26, have 5 points and 5 moving violations in the past 3 years. In GA the moving violations fall off every 3 years. With MAX full coverage I pay $300 a month. My driving record is 3 pages long. Lost my license twice. One reckless driving... I suck I know. Anyways my insurance people told me that some companies don't like to insure the IS? Don't know why. You would figure a four door sedan with 6 air bags would be better. And I live in a high risk county, so they say.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 26, have 5 points and 5 moving violations in the past 3 years. In GA the moving violations fall off every 3 years. With MAX full coverage I pay $300 a month. My driving record is 3 pages long. Lost my license twice. One reckless driving... I suck I know. Anyways my insurance people told me that some companies don't like to insure the IS? Don't know why. You would figure a four door sedan with 6 air bags would be better. And I live in a high risk county, so they say.
what county do you live in? I'm in Cobb...

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Anyways my insurance people told me that some companies don't like to insure the IS? Don't know why. You would figure a four door sedan with 6 air bags would be better. And I live in a high risk county, so they say.
They don't quote based on how safe the car is for people. They insure based partially by driver, and mainly on how expensive it is to repair a damaged IS. Unfortunately for us, the IS is one of the most expensive cars to insure.

For my 02 IS, my wife's 06 TSX and our beater 95 GP, I pay 250/month for full coverage, except the beater. The TSX is another car that costs a fortune to repair.

For record, I'm 26, and have a ton of tickets in my history.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Definitely try to get yourself put on a POS car instead. My mom has this 87' Voyager that I've supposedly been the driver on, well not now but when I was younger. I'm 25 almost 26 now. My insurance costs??? I'm not really sure :blush: My motorcycle insurance is $86 a month for full coverage (I think???)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.