Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i got my 2006 is250 from used car dealer, they only give me 1 remote and they said that's all they got with the car, Did the car only come with 1 remote from factory?

if not how much would cost to get another remote?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would be very expensive to be honest. Your better off buying a Smart Key which is like the size of a credit card and just keeping the other remote at home.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
when i got my 2006 is250 from used car dealer, they only give me 1 remote and they said that's all they got with the car, Did the car only come with 1 remote from factory?

if not how much would cost to get another remote?

Thanks
Smart keys (the factory fob) can be found on Ebay for $99...and you can get $30 off that with the MS live search cashback deal...you'll need to pay the dealership to programming it though unless they're really nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2 remotes only. i think sewell lexus is selling the remote for ~150.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i have an extra remote i can sell u.. just gotta take it to the dealership to get it reprogrammed... PM me and let me know if u want it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I have a 2006 IS250. I bought it used and I only got one key. I also bought a used remote from eBay and had the key cut and I tested it and it worked. The problem is that I then took the smart key remote to the local dealer in Guam and they tried to reprogram it and it took over an hour and they came back and told me they couldn't do it since its a used smartkey. They didn't charge me for the time they took.

I've done my research and have read that other people have successfully reprogrammed their car/remote to work even though it was used. I called the seller from eBay and he said that the dealer should be able to do it and that they don't want to as they charge a lot to get a replacement from them, in my case I got quoted for over $500.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I have a 2006 IS250. I bought it used and I only got one key. I also bought a used remote from eBay and had the key cut and I tested it and it worked. The problem is that I then took the smart key remote to the local dealer in Guam and they tried to reprogram it and it took over an hour and they came back and told me they couldn't do it since its a used smartkey. They didn't charge me for the time they took.

I've done my research and have read that other people have successfully reprogrammed their car/remote to work even though it was used. I called the seller from eBay and he said that the dealer should be able to do it and that they don't want to as they charge a lot to get a replacement from them, in my case I got quoted for over $500.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.
To program a NEW smartkey you just add the key to the car. 5 minutes.

To program a USED smartkey you have to erase all keys from the car and then add them back individually... which is a lot more work and not gonna be free unless your dealer is very generous (1 hour labor minimum would be my guess).

If your dealer says he can't program a used one find a more competent dealer, because they absolutely can, they just have to clear the whole system first

Oh, and a brand new smartkey is $128 from Sewell
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Keys/IS250-2006/1924.html

(157 unless you create an account using your forum screen name, then it drops to 128)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure what you mean.

All 2ISes came with smartkeys.

If you mean the credit-card sized thing you can buy them and get the dealer to program them for your car for any 2IS
Checked both dealers in my area. Both stated that my 2007 IS350 is not compatible with smart card(wallet size). Actually got a quote from one. Brought the car in.... only for the mechanic to tell me sorry.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Checked both dealers in my area. Both stated that my 2007 IS350 is not compatible with smart card(wallet size). Actually got a quote from one. Brought the car in.... only for the mechanic to tell me sorry.
Well, they're both wrong, since there's folks with 07s using them.

Here's the part for a 2007 IS350 for example, sold by a lexus dealer-

2007 IS350: Key - Smart Card - SmartAccess is a remarkable feature that enables the starting of your Lexus - without inserting a key - as long as the SmartAccess wallet transmitter is in the user's possession.SmartAccess functions are made possible b

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there anything I can take to the dealership to show the car is compatible? I don't want to purchase the part from Sewell only to be turned away again....

Any advice would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Is there anything I can take to the dealership to show the car is compatible? I don't want to purchase the part from Sewell only to be turned away again....

Any advice would be great. Thanks
I imagine you could email sewell and ask them to send you a copy of the directions to program the part for your car directly from Lexus. Then tell the dealer "look, just follow these directions, then apologize to me for being an idiot when they work"

(you might want to paraphrase that last bit a little :))

1 - 20 of 22 Posts