Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dash in the IS300 is trendy, you have to admit it. It's one of those things you either love or hate, maybe it grows on you. Personally, I would much rather see traditional analog gauges in my IS300- a big round spedometer/tachometer, black-on-white would be nice. The orange/red light is the only thing I like about the current setup. I think Lexus made the chronometer-style dash just to have SOMETHING about the car that isn't a BMW rip-off. If the funky dash was an improvement that would be cool, but it's not better- just different. Me, I'd rather have the (perfect) dash from the Bimmer (in the Lexus). Am I alone?

·
8,880 Posts
I just love the way they designed it.
I find it being original and better than ordinary.

P.S.
Question line asks for Analong preference, as in digital being opposed to analog. In cases of BMW, Lexus, and most other manufactured cars the gauges are analog.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: vlad_a ]

·
Registered
345 Posts
For the most part the dash is analog! The transmission portion with its digital LCD is fine also, wish it diplayed what gear it was in during normal operation not just manual mode. I really wish they had included an analog oil pressure guage.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
I agree, I think that MPG gauge is a waste of space

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I would've liked the Optitron gauges found in the other Lexuses, but I'd like this most of all:

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's a beautiful dash, JW. I think the best dash layouts are the simplest ones...those where the displays are easy to read and useful.
I particularly like the gauges on my Boxster. It gives you speed readouts in both analog and digital. The Tiptronic transmission LEDs tell you what gear you're actually in, as opposed to what gear you can reach as in the IS. There is also an engine-oil-level display (at start-up) where the digital clock is - very handy. Newer Boxsters offer white-faced gauges, too.
I like my IS dash, although I agree the MPG dial spot could be better filled with an oil pressure readout, or something. Also, the LCDs on the Lexus are hard to read with sunglasses on - and that includes the sound system displays.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That Boxter setup is nice- a big round speedo and a BIGGER round Tach- right in the middle where it belongs. If they were REALLY slick they would twist the tach so that redline is at 12 o'clock- straight up.
Oh well, I shouldn't wish for a more traditional setup in the IS300- if the 2003 model came out with my ideal-gauge-layout it would just make me think about selling my 2002. Maybe the chronometer will grow on me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I like the design of our cars gauges. I wish that they would have incorporated the lighting from the LS430 though. That would look awesome.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by Hunt NXS:
I like the design of our cars gauges. I wish that they would have incorporated the lighting from the LS430 though. That would look awesome.
Most definately! I think LS430 has the best gauges period. The nice optitron that works in any light, the perfect way how the tachometer is to the left and speedometer is to the right, the way they both are big and equal in size, etc. I love it and if it were possible, I'd put replace my IS one with that.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
That Optitron Gauge Cluster/Dash is the tightest one I've ever seen. I'd switch the Tachometer and the Speedometer around though. I like bigger Tach's than Speed's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts