Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and i see that bradleyjpyle has autocrossed, and maybe a few others.

I will be taking mine out for the first time in mid March. I used to autocross my S13 240. I had alot of fun doing it until the engine blew (not from autocrossing).

I'm looking at the STS class. I have a Bilstein/L-tuned shock/spring combo an should be getting a set of L-tuned sways this weekend. From what I've read about some of the IS sedans, people are getting better handling by just changing the front sway and leaving the rear stock. It sound like changing the rear induces a higher chance of oversteer. My setup right now has lots of understeer and I'd like to get the handling closer to nuetral with a bias to oversteer.

Have any of you guys experimented with the wagons suspension setups?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I haven't yet, but I want to. I really want to do an HPDE or PDX event rather than autox. Just need to save money for tires and brakes.

I know bradleyjpyle has recently, he even has a video on youtube doing it.

·
V8 Sportcross
603 Posts
SX is a blast on course, I took mine out in May 06 right after I got the v8 in. With the 4.11 rear end ratio, it lit up the tires almost uncontrollably. The 3.71(?) are better but still not where I'd like it to be.

Since you don't have a LSD, you'll want the rear end as loose as possible to keep the inside tire planted. Just give up the speed going in and get the line right when going into the corner, you'll need that rear tire down for the corner exit speed to be better.

Take tools and jack with you to swap out the rear sway at the course. I'd bet you find that it's too stiff on the rear if you install the l-tuned.

-B

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pic looks great, you seem to be well planted. I checked your V8 buildup a few months ago......VERY COOL! Seems like you did a very thorough job.

Based on what I've read I'm going to leave the rear sway bar stock for the first event. I may install it after to see how it feels.

What class did you have to autoX in due to the engine swap? I bet the SportX is a blast with a V8 and LSD.

I may try to rig something up for onboard video. I'll be sure to post a video if I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts