Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2002 5spd manual with 104,000 on it. One of the main reasons I went this direction was the expectation that I would get at least 300,000 miles out of it. I had an 89 mr2 years ago and I beat that car like it owed me money for 330,000 trouble free miles! I maintained it meticulously but drove it hard all of the time. That little car was something special but with similar maintenance I expect to do at least as well with my IS.

So how many miles do you have on yours? What have you replaced or repaired? Lets find out who has the highest mileage IS here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an 06 IS250 auto with 302,000kms which is almost 190,000 miles. Runs like a dream, been on a freeway its whole life. Serviced at Lexus first half of its life with a female owner, then owned by an Indian fellow whos brother owned a Mechanic workshop. There is a small knock from the rear tho..

Any body know if its the Diff itself or bushes/mounts? Toyota dont have the best Diff history!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If it is your differential bushings, these could help.

IS GS LS SC SUPRA REAR DIFFERENTIAL MOUNT POLYURETHANE BUSHINGS

I've got 313,000 miles on my '04 5 Speed and it's still going strong. As long as you keep up with spark plugs, timing belt, and all the seals when you do the timing belt, this car can go forever. The VVTi started leaking oil last month but a quick reseal did the trick.

·
Registered
174 Posts
E92FF I hear you about the Toyota 4AGE motor. I had a 1991 Prizm GSI with the smallport 4AGE as a daily for years. Drove the piss out of that thing. Those motors love to rev. Ended up selling it because I bought a 2002 SportX. I miss that Prizm everyday :( Don't get me wrong I love the SportX. I do feel the 2JZ-GE is a great motor - just much more exotic in it's needs than that old redtop 4AGE.

·
Registered
590 Posts
E92FF I hear you about the Toyota 4AGE motor. I had a 1991 Prizm GSI with the smallport 4AGE as a daily for years. Drove the piss out of that thing. Those motors love to rev. Ended up selling it because I bought a 2002 SportX. I miss that Prizm everyday :( Don't get me wrong I love the SportX. I do feel the 2JZ-GE is a great motor - just much more exotic in it's needs than that old redtop 4AGE.
There are no exotic needs for a 2JZ.
Mine has 290K miles and purrs like a puma.
Only maintenance besides synthetic oil changes was 2 timing belts w/water pump and spark plugs.
4AGE is a nice motor, but it has nothing on the 2JZ.
My 3S-GTE has had a few more needs, but nothing exotic. It's also been very reliable and cost-efficient.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well you are one of the lucky ones. They are known to need cats at about 180,000 miles and usually all the 02 sensors by then. Let alone the valve cover gaskets - and numerous oil seals as they age. They also show their age if you beat on them. They also are interference motors because of VVT so do not forget to change the timing belt. The 4AGE is not you could probaly carry an extra belt in the trunk and change it on the side of the road with some basic tools when the old one broke - then be on your way. The is300 is quite bloated with weight as well. The 4AGE feels pretty quick in the light cars is was put into. I would love to get an is300 and strip all of the excess weight then you would have a quick car. Don't get me wrong they are great motors, but if you got by that many miles with nothing more than you mentioned - you are indeed lucky!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I bought my 2001 IS300 with 96,000 miles. It needed a timing belt so the PO dropped the price 1500. I paid $9,000 back in 2008. Super clean car with no accidents. I now have 190,000 miles and just put in my 2nd timing belt, rebuilt the vvti cam, new cam,crank seals. Changed the plugs and valve cover gaskets at 150,000 miles. Just for my peace of mind, I replaced the fuel pump which seems to fail at this mileage. If you drove it, you would think it was a new car. Its still tight, smooth and purrs. I highly recommend changing the LCA#2 with figs bushings if you like your tires. The oem rubber bushings soften, fail and cause outer tire wear.

This is my commuter car and I drive 75 miles each way to work now. This is the Best car ever. My only worry is having an accident.

BTW I still get 23-24 mpg driving highways at 75 mph.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I just bought an 06 IS250 auto with 302,000kms which is almost 190,000 miles. Runs like a dream, been on a freeway its whole life. Serviced at Lexus first half of its life with a female owner, then owned by an Indian fellow whos brother owned a Mechanic workshop. There is a small knock from the rear tho..

Any body know if its the Diff itself or bushes/mounts? Toyota dont have the best Diff history!
I would look at the struts, axle half shaft cv jts, and wheel bearings. My oem struts were shot at 150,000 miles. They had no gas left in them. I upgraded to Bilstein and love them. Lifetime warranty to boot. I plan to run this car until the fat lady sings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I highly recommend changing the LCA#2 with figs bushings if you like your tires. The oem rubber bushings soften, fail and cause outer tire wear.
I need to do something along these lines. When its wet I have to drive it very gently or I get wheel hop. Especially coming out of corners.

When you did this did it change the ride or road noise level at all? I do about 100 miles a day on the freeway.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
110,000mi ≤ x ≤ 111,000mi

·
Registered
77 Posts
5sp and it gets driven each day. 500 miles a week. driven hard. did waterpump/timing belt at 180k. sparkplugs/injectors/coilpacks at 218k

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sitting on 147,500 auto. About to do my 3k oil change, and my overdue timing belt/water pump maintenance. Had the car for over 5 years and I gotta say this car is not just fun to drive, but also headache free. Any weather, and it starts right up.

Got some plans for the car, collecting parts to do my manual swap. Trying to find a w58 and hopefully it comes with a shifter and 2j bellhousing.

good luck with your car! it's definitely a keeper.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 190k on mines. I can tell you that majority of the oil seals started to leaked. Valve cover, oil filter housing, vvti cam gear and cam shaft seals.
Replaced the gas tank vent valve, was throwing an Evap code for it.
2 radiators, they kept leaking at the seams. Finally upgraded to a full aluminium one with built in cooler for auto tranny.
2-3 O2 sensors
Also replaced the VVT Solenoid as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
170k on mine, replaced front lowers arms, engine gave out around 150k. thinking about going with the jdm 2jzgte vvti still trying to find someone to install it for me in NorCal

·
Registered
475 Posts
2002 Auto @ 285,000 miles second owner and bought back in 2009 with 150k. Finally decided to give it a transplant last fall so now she has 5k boosted miles.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts