Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do not spend significant percentages of your income on modifications and who find the IS 300 to be a handsome car in its originally equipped form?

Now, you can blast me for this as I am not an owner...yet, I plan to purchase an E shift either a late '03 or an early '04.

I try to compare it to others in the category, but for me no other car has the appeal for a post married, pre-child car than the IS.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My opinion after lurking on this site for over two years is that there aren't many over 30. I personally don't see how the 18-24ish segment of owners buy these cars and mod the hell out of them and still afford to live. Must be nice!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For my purposes you need to have 30 years or more under your belt a job that allows you to live a happy life, provide for whatever family you need to and to enjoy whatever "good things" life has to offer including an IS 300.

But that is just my definition.

As a future buyer I like this sight as you are able to get decent information on legitimate questions that one would have when spending a not-insignificant amount of money on a car. My only beef is that so many owners are young and don't understand concepts like cost per mile and the economies of fuel consumption, tire wear and repair costs compared to budgets and other expenses life requires.

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
Not 30 yet (Mid 20's), but getting there. :oops: Trying to accomplish what you listed. A little hard in today's economy. :-?

·
Registered
181 Posts
IMO your asking to get flamed here Aja. There are plenty of people here that have a great job, live happy lives, provide for their families, and enjoy all the good things in life all while being under 30 years old. I am one of them. I am 26 and don't want for anything (within reason ofcourse!). But, there are those that have had what they got handed to them which just bugs the hell out of me...

This is a great site for information on the IS and a good place to waste time if you can sift through the riffraff, especially in the PL.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Ok, I retired at age 59 as chief engineer with 35 years service at a major US tire company. I have a nice pension and IRA, and my only fixed expenses are utilites, taxes etc. I like to drive and I usually take a trip somewhere about one week out of each month. I may or may not mod my car. If the bug hits me, I'll do it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
RPMZZZ said:
My opinion after lurking on this site for over two years is that there aren't many over 30. I personally don't see how the 18-24ish segment of owners buy these cars and mod the hell out of them and still afford to live. Must be nice!
The way i see it is some of the people on here relay on there mommy and daddy to buy there car and mods but still say they pay for it all them selves, :shame: although a few on here will actually give there parents the credit!

Others dump every dime they have into ther cars but have no money to do anything else!! Personally i would love to drop thousands into my car but im 25 and id rather do other things like buy a house and have some cash to actually do things!!

Now i know there are some of us my age who make enough cash do it all them selves and have a life, im just talking about a certain few, if you get pissed at this then you are probably one of them!!!!!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I think that's why the topic name is as it is. He's asking about mature people, not the other kind.

·
Registered
535 Posts
RPMZZZ said:
let me tell you why, because I am a professional hardware design engineer that makes over 55K per year.
and I am 23 years old.

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
30 in April
Married
Kid on the way
Like the car as is but have done a few minor changes (drop in filter for ex.)

So what's the question?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Aja1 said:
Who do not spend significant percentages of your income on modifications and who find the IS 300 to be a handsome car in its originally equipped form?
getting back to the original question...mine is stock on the outside and that is the way i plan on keeping it!! i thing it looks great as is!! :D But if i drop anymore money in it, it will be on making it faster!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RPMZZZ you're right using 30 as a determining factor isn't right, I would have been in the same situation you are when I was 26 (less the IS 300, insert Subaru).

Also I'm not trying to insult or offend the younger owners, just looking for dialogue with types like you who enjoy their car and in some cases modify it, but use it as a car not a race car.

Anyway, all this website has done for me is completely flood my brain with thoughts of this car, if I test drive one more I will go nuts, I just need to calm down and wait for the 04's then make the move, I can't wait.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I'm 35, married, no kids, own a place, and have a decent job (PE).
I feel like a grandpa over here as most are younger. I really don't spend too much on my car, been there done that in the past, so I'm very selective at what mods I do. I would love to plunk down $$$$ for a turbo, but unfortunately I've got other "interests" that taking up most of my extra spending money.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
I'm 47 years old. My only mods are listed in my signature and, more than likely, it'll stay that way, so I guess I fit your description, Aja1.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Hello fellow .net peeps. Well most of you guys know me, 34 married with 2 kids, house, mulitple cars, and work 6 sometimes 7 days a week. I'm just a car fanatic. I guess as you get older your toys get fancier. Enjoy your IS whether stock or totally worked. :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'm still in my mid 20's, but I am married and work as an engineer. I'll be taking the PE exam in 2 more years and I think the car is great in it's stock form and the only modding i've done is hardwiring my V1 into the electrical system. I can afford the car and insurance, but I definitely have plenty of other priorities other than throwing more money into the car.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Aja1 said:

Now, you can blast me for this as I am not an owner...yet, I plan to purchase an E shift either a late '03 or an early '04.

I try to compare it to others in the category, but for me no other car has the appeal for a post married, pre-child car than the IS.
Hey Aja1, I don't think that too many around here are going to cop to that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Aja1 said:
I think most, if not all here, would agree the car is "handsome" in its "originally equipped form", otherwise they'd be driving something else.. as isman said, lots of us, regardless of age, are just "car fanatics".. I've modded, and to great extent, every car I've ever owned since the age of 18 (which was 14 years ago, you do the math) but that hasnt
stopped me from buying a home, getting married, and having a kid..

And why are you waiting for the '04 ? Chances are the 04' will be the same.. the new body '05 will probably be introduced in mid-'04.. although thats all speculation on my part based on a number of rumors I've heard and read..

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Age 18 - Paid cash for a new rice rocket motorcycle.
Age 20 - I bought my first home. So, I would not bust on the young.
Age 30 - I have no wife or kids and I plan on spending about $10k+ on my IS this year. Its my hobbie. Be happy.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts