Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took delivery of the GS400 (w/17inch wheel/tire package) I remember seeing a sticker saying that the factory tires (Bridgestone RE030's 235/45-17) are ultra high performance tires and the tire life may be significantly less than 10,000 miles. They had a treadwear rating of 140 and lasted about 14K miles
..I drove the car spiritedly and I figured that the big V8 power didn't help. When I replaced them with Bridgestone S02 Pole Positions, I surprisingly got significantly more miles on the tires. So how are your tires looking guys after you have racked the up miles so far...?
Eric....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've managed to put about 14.5K miles on since June and all the treads are looking pretty good so far. They are Goodyear GS-D. There's about 1/8 inch until the wear indicator is completely exposed on the rear tires...a little bit more on the fronts. I am expecting to get pretty close to 20K miles (after a tire rotation) before I'll get new tires. I'm pretty happy with the GS-Ds -- I'm not getting "significantly less than 20K miles" of wear on, as warned by Lexus. And I tend to drive about 50% aggressive, 50% conservative. Pretty good formula considering how many miles I've gotten out of them so far.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have the potenza as well, and I am predicting in around 12000 or so, they are wearing down rather quick. BTW, could anyone of you with Potenza peel off in first gear on a straight line acceleration? Last night I was just testing to have some fun, so I step on it after turning off the traction control and to my surprise the tire peeled for about 1 sec or so. Is it my tire wearing down and losing traction or does IS have enough power to do this?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daniel, do you have LSD? I had LSD when I had my GS400 and when I floored it from a stand still the tires screeched only a bit and took off...I was surprised, when I got the GS, I thought it would smoke the tires with the 300hp and 310 lb/ft of torque, but no drama, it just hooked up and shot off...
Eric...
Maybe the final drive ratio gives the IS that extra punch off the line to screech the tires..

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have 1100 miles on my Potenzas, so (as expected) there isn't much sign of wear (yet).

I haven't really been able to get them to break free under acceleration, but can do a little bit of slide with sudden cornering loads.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I have about 8k miles or so on mine (the Goodyears) and they are starting to look pretty tore-up...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by webmaster:
I have about 8k miles or so on mine (the Goodyears) and they are starting to look pretty tore-up...

Tony, you're kidding right?
Eric...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Erick, I do have LSD. I think it maybe because of the cold weather last night because I remember I did it a few weeks ago and it didn't peel for that long. I was really surprised by it, but it was also kind of fun. This is the first time I came close to flooring the pedal (amount 5% or so left to the floor, really close). Maybe you are right about the short final drive ratio that's giving it the initial punch, although the acceleration was pretty strong to 40mph even though I lifted off a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
Daniel
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing