Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! kind of a random question for everybody. Do most ppl. keep the ISs they have for a while or trade it in early? I mean how many miles would you put on a new one before you decided to trade it in generally? I know they only came out in 01.......but is it feasible/realistic to keep this car (if bought new) for 5,6,7 years???
please let me know what you think?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I know as soon as I pay off my IS...I'll get another car, but still keep my IS around :D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I plan on keeping mine for 5 years (until the end of college), where I'll either

sell the IS and get an e46 M3
or
keep the IS and spend about 10k in engine upgrades

·
Registered
342 Posts
I dont plan on selling mine so with that being said the only way I will part with it will be for it to get total and hopefully that will never happen (knock on wood). I am just going to keep it and eventually turn it into my toy weekend ride.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I kept my last car almost 9 years. If the IS holds up as well, I'll keep it at least 6 to 8 years. If you don't get the good out of them, cars are just a total losing proposition.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I will sell mine when I pay mine off. I have 17K to go in 2.5 years. Hopefully I can pay mine off withing 2 years and save some money to get an M5 :p

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
A long time!
1971 VW Beetle=1971-1986
!986 Tooyota MR-2=1986-2001
1990 Acura Integra GS=1990-2003
If they don't last a long time, they aren't worth buying!
Dan

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
AustinAltezza said:
i dont know if i can stand it when the new IS330 comes out. hell the TSX is tempting me to trade my IS right now!
Don't do it. It's a step down from what you are used to now.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I will keep it at least for another 3-5 years. and I still loving it!! :D

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
keeping it until the new model comes out

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll probably keep mine around for another 32 months or so :lol: Yeah, I leased mine.. kinda wish I didn't now tho. It's nice for my cash flow situation, but now I don't have many mods that I'm able to buy with the extra cash :roll: After the lease is up, I may move on to the next model. Dunno, haven't thought much about it yet, but I'm very happy with the current model.

The main reason I leased though, is because I kinda wasn't planning on keeping this car for more than a few years. I do a lot of driving and I figured that'd give me a chance to beat the hell outta the car for 3 and a half years or so, and then just turn it in and walk on to a new one. 8)

·
11,061 Posts
I'll drive it for probably 6 to 8 years total. Technically I SHOULD drive it ten years to get the value out of it though. It will be three years next month and I just have 27K miles. Still love it, so I'm happy. Won't be trading it in at the end though; will sell privately. Dealer's don't really want a trade in that is more than four years old. Those generally go to the auction.

·
11,061 Posts
L-Sport said:
The main reason I leased though, is because I kinda wasn't planning on keeping this car for more than a few years. I do a lot of driving and I figured that'd give me a chance to beat the hell outta the car for 3 and a half years or so, and then just turn it in and walk on to a new one. 8)
You beat on the car TOO much and they'll beat on YOU for money when you bring it back.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
SeattleSheila said:
You beat on the car TOO much and they'll beat on YOU for money when you bring it back.
I know what you mean, & I'm dreading it. I'm keeping mine, God willing, until the lease is up (July, 2005). I'm well over my 15,000 miles per year "allowance", however. Oh, well, life is short, and I really enjoy driving my IS.

·
11,061 Posts
jruhi4 said:
SeattleSheila said:
I know what you mean, & I'm dreading it. I'm keeping mine, God willing, until the lease is up (July, 2005). I'm well over my 15,000 miles per year "allowance", however. Oh, well, life is short, and I really enjoy driving my IS.

Warning to anyone considering leasing an IS300: You will be tempted to do a lot of gratuitous driving just for the fun of it. Take that into consideration when purchasing those miles. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts