Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there I saw a pretty cheap is200 (manual, 2001) the other day but it has about 260'000km (160'000 miles). I was wondering if I should still consider buying it.
I've heard that the cars are very reliable but my main fear is that the engine is going to give up pretty soon.

Would appreciate the help and maybe some experiences with high mileage is200's

·
Registered
463 Posts
The last thing I'd worry about is a 160k mile 1G-FE quitting. They basically never give up so long as you keep oil and water in them. If the dipstick shows there's oil in the pan and it doesn't smell like charcoal - and it cranks smoothly and starts readily, I'm sure it's fine.

But, it's a 20 year old car, so you'll have all kinds of peripheral failures. Belts, hoses, electrical connectors, bearings, shocks, sticky brake calipers - the list goes on and on and on.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Its not a "bulletproof" engine like the 2J, so doesn't have the massive overengineering that would make it last as long. That said its a smooth 6 though a little underwhelming, it will all depend on what the previous owners have been like with it. If its been looked after, pampered, serviced it should be ok for a bit more, though IMHO 260km is starting to get up there, if its been thrashed then i wouldn't go there. At least its a manual so there wont be the same questions about the condition of the trans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts