Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pulling in decent money for the past several years, but I find that most of my cash is tied up in assets. Mostly my house, cars, furnishings, investments, etc. This is really pissing me off.

So anyway, how liquid are you? I have about 20-25K in cash readilly available. It should be much more.

This is not intended to be a piss fest. I am looking for smarter ways to keep my money in check.

What's the scoop...

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Pretty much all of my money is tied up in investments. I'd say my portfolio is strong....to very strong.

I don't have a lot of liquid assets.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
depends on your definition of liquid.

I have stock that I could sell today. But that doesnt fall under my definition of liquid.

10k I guess.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HoustonLex said:

I have stock that I could sell today. But that doesnt fall under my definition of liquid.

10k I guess.
I consider money invested in stocks not to be liquid. I have about 50-60 G's in a money market, but that is not to be touched. My nest egg sort of speak.

I mean cash that you have on hand to use if needed.

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
we have 80k or so in a money market that will sadly be our income starting pretty soon

you really do need to have a few months of cash stowed away - more if you think it would take longer than that to get a new job.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
LexArkana said:
HoustonLex said:

10k I guess.
I consider money invested in stocks not to be liquid. I have about 50-60 G's in a money market, but that is not to be touched. My nest egg sort of speak.

I mean cash that you have on hand to use if needed.
For the most part I agree. The only stock I was thinking of including was the company stock purchase. Because at any point, I can bail out and the money will be on my next payckeck. So true, its not IMMEDIATELY available, but it could be within a week.

But in any case, I didnt include that in my estimation.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem is that I am trying to get 100K together to get my company off the ground. Technically I have most of it, but that is all my cash. Yes my family has loot, but I would never dream of asking them for any. Once my company gets going, I am gonna go from major income to ZERO. I can't afford to dump my life savings into it. I need to have money to live on for about a year in addition to the 100K start up capital. Damn this is frustrating.

I beleive you need to feel the pressure and be hungry in order to really succeed in business. I guess going to zero income will definitely put the pressure on me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I keep about one year's worth of living expenses in cash. Of course, my yearly "living expenses" might include a a few new vehicles and a couple of new houses. 8)

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
LexArkana said:
I beleive you need to feel the pressure and be hungry in order to really succeed in business. I guess going to zero income will definitely put the pressure on me.
i know the feeling :-? my husband and this guy gave birth to a new company (idea) monday and I have no idea when it might produce some cash

I think I better call my old temp agency

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
azure_sea said:
we have 80k or so in a money market that will sadly be our income starting pretty soon

you really do need to have a few months of cash stowed away - more if you think it would take longer than that to get a new job.
Not sure if you have ever heard this rule, but I have seen it hold true for many people (except for Capellas, he seemed to have his life planned out already)

For every 10k in salary, it takes 2 weeks to find a job. The more you make, the longer it takes...

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
DJPoop said:
Pretty much all of my money is tied up in investments. I'd say my portfolio is strong....to very strong.

I don't have a lot of liquid assets.
$25k in the checking is all of my liquid assests. the rest is in, or goes to bills (car/home/etc) and money market account.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HoustonLex said:
azure_sea said:

Not sure if you have ever heard this rule, but I have seen it hold true for many people (except for Capellas, he seemed to have his life planned out already)

For every 10k in salary, it takes 2 weeks to find a job. The more you make, the longer it takes...

It took me 5 years to get to my income level. I would probably have to take a 75% pay cut to do the same job at a different company. :-?

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
HoustonLex said:
yup i know - we knew t would take 6-8 months for him to find work at his level - but he's starting something on his own

color me nervous

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
azure_sea said:
HoustonLex said:
yup i know - we knew t would take 6-8 months for him to find work at his level - but he's starting something on his own

color me nervous
He will succeed if he really wants it.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
LexArkana said:
azure_sea said:
HoustonLex said:

color me nervous
He will succeed if he really wants it.
Thanks, Dr. Phil. :wink:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I make a decent living but I have in the past lived right up to the extent of my earning. For the past year I have gotten away form buyng a new car and replacing my motorcycles every year and all of a sudden I have some cash laying around. I have increased my income and held my spending in check and things look good. I have equity in my home and own a business that is worth several hundred thousand but as far as being liquid I have between 20-30K otherwise I reinvest in my business or look for other ways to generate income streams.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FFIS300 said:
I make a decent living but I have in the past lived right up to the extent of my earning. For the past year I have gotten away form buyng a new car and replacing my motorcycles every year and all of a sudden I have some cash laying around. I have increased my income and held my spending in check and things look good. I have equity in my home and own a business that is worth several hundred thousand but as far as being liquid I have between 20-30K otherwise I reinvest in my business or look for other ways to generate income streams.
It is very true that the more you make, the more you spend.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
About this Discussion
142 Replies
23 Participants
PMD911
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing