Lexus IS Forum banner

How is this car as a daily driver?

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  PXM 
#1 ·
I orderd a black/black 2001 is300 with the 17" rims, etc...I live in NY where it doesnt snow that much. I was wondering how the is300 with the stock 17" rims rode on highways and pot holes? does the rims slam hard since the tires are so low profile? Im also going to keep these rims and tires all year round, I drove a camaro and a mustang in the snow, And I dont think this car will be any worse. Let me know on the pole holes and daily driving...thanks!!

------------------
ScoochyDawg -
if you're not wasted, a da is.

See less See more
#3 ·
Mine's my daily commuter, plus short family/kids trips/errands after work and weekends. The kids love it! My wife prefers her RX 'cause she can just step in and out, and she has great visibility.

I can see where the IS would get old for a non-enthusiast - "feeling the road" to us just seems "bumpy" to others. But I love it! Great comfort, performance when needed, tight control, lots of looks. Truly, I wish I had more than a twenty mile commute...

Disclaimer: I live in San Diego, at the very southern end of California. Rain is our "Winter", and although many complain of road conditions, they must be somewhere I don't drive.

#6 ·
Scoochy... The IS is built to take on the LIE. Unfortunately I hit a few potholes, but to my surprise the car isnt phased by it! The suspension travel and dampening are awesome for NY Streets. Potholes that I have dented other rims are no match for the IS 17's. I have mine chromed and they are cool. No hard hits whatsoever. It is very good as a daily driver. I wouldnt buy this car as a show piece anyways! I love to drive this car. I wish it were manual though.. That eshift sux! But. hey maybe things will work out in the next few years. All in all .. To me this car is bump free. I got mine at Rallye by the way. (1st sale in NY!)

#8 ·
Thanks for the info, I got (ordered mine) from Lexus of Smithtown. I was worried that as a daily driver, it might not be practical or comfortable, I dont want to have to cringe on every little bump in the road. I know you have to be cautious when you drive it but I dont want to have to leave it in the garage cause im afraid to crack the rims or the ground effects. now im happy i cant wait to get it. Thanks for all the help. They wouldnt let me test drive the is with the 17's cause they said the tires would wear out to frequent with all the test drives. thanks

black/black 17"s LSD loaded!

------------------
ScoochyDawg -
if you're not wasted, a day is.

#13 ·
Hey scoochydawg, i live near mineola and have black on black 2001, IS300 w/ spoiler titanium dash, and LSD. Awesome car for everyday driving. Go to Rallye and ask for John Tetta. Tell him Mr. Patel sent ya and you will get an amazing deal.

#14 ·
My IS3 is a daily driver and I often commute to NYC and LI. My first trip with the car to NY was when I drove to Precision Installations in Valley Stream to pick up my 18" 5Zigens. The IS3 has a very athletic feel when you hit the bumps and potholes....soaking most of it up even with 18" rims. I think the Pirelli P7000SS's have a lot to do with it also. Believe me, I own an '87 Mustang GT and the ride cannot even compare so don't worry.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.