Lexus IS Forum banner

Leave the scrapes or try to fix it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I bought my car in 2001(Loved the Round Rear Lights!) and then some years later I had to swap cars with my husband for a good many years~eventually my ride went to my mom to have a simple car to get to golf. While she had it, she kept it up, immaculate care, timing belt etc also and the car was garaged. It has been back in my hands for my kids to drive. I watched my daughter scrape the front skirt in my driveway. Ugh! After all these years of it being perfect. I keep watching that commercial where they put on the goop and you can't see the scratches. (anyone know what i'm talking about?) Should I try it?
Anyways, I needed to get a new timing belt since we were dealing with some oil leaks and in order to access camshaft etc.., it turned into that bigger job of fixing and replacing a lot of things, while we were in there. I enjoy driving it and pretty cool that the kid at my local Ace Hardware helped me to my car and was like, "Are you this Lexus is300?" I was surprised he knew this car~ but he was like it's from the Movie Fast & Furious etc.lol I see everyone with the replaced parts~but i feel like a purist yet my front lights def have that foggy thing going on too~ how do you decide what to do?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Toyota made something like 100000 1G IS300’s. So not exactly a limited run. Any car that’s been driven and used (as cars of this caliber should be), isn’t going to be de-valued by using good, name brand or OEM replacement parts. It’s not a Ferrari. It was a good attempt by Toyota to break into the Euro market held so tight by the BMW 300 series. It just happens to have the non turbo straight six, that propelled the MKIV Supra to fame. People latch on to that, but it’s not even remotely the same engine. So, yeah, enjoy the car for what it is. Fix the broke stuff with good parts, and polish the headlights if they need it. It will not hurt the value one bit, and will probably give you pride of ownership even after all these years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that has been it's life. I think the overall life of this car has been worth it totally. There have been expensive moments but compared to other cars, I don't think they would have survived as long. I can't believe people have 240k mileage! That's the original engine?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
When i read of you guys talking like 350k miles i start to feel like mine has barely run in at 175k KM (~110k miles) :LOL:

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
207 Posts
my current car has 200k miles and been boosted for over 10k miles untuned and unopened motor. shockingly bulletproof motors when maintenance is done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts