Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front calaper keeps freezing, and the guys at the shop said it would be right at 1,000$ to fix it. Now im looking at this http://replacement.pitstopparts.com...ke Caliper&category=N&returnurl=null&dp=false and... well call me what you will, but I have watched shows where people have installed calapers on cars and it looks pretty simple. Is it? Is there a how to some where?

Is that a good place to buy stock parts? is that a fair price from the shop? Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
20-40 minutes maybe plus time to bleed. 1000? thats a rip off.

I could probably do it in 15.

That price seems high.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so to. I just bought the car used, its not under eather warrente (lexus or the dealer that sold it to me used) and the parents who are paying for it are a little mad at the moment, so im trying to see if this is indeed how much it should cost or not.

He quoted 480$ for the brake calaper, and around 470$ for the install...

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Go some where else. You can walk into autozone and get it for 1/3 that price.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you buy a new caliper from the dealer it around $600, if you buy a Toyota rebuilt caliper it is $350 roughly and if you send it out to get rebuilt it around $100. I don't see haow it could cost $1000.

·
Registered
75 Posts
sound like u never work on brake before, honestly there aren't just replacing the caliper, u also have the bleed the line in order to get the air out of the brake system and then you might have to bleed the ABS unit , and check the rotor if there are something wrong with it, if u never touch a brake, please let someone to do it, go to couple other place to get the quote, or find someone who work on brake before to help you, $1000 is pricey but at least they know what they are doing

Caliper and drumn type brake system has been out for many years in most of the car out there.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
IS3DP said:
If you buy a new caliper from the dealer it around $600, if you buy a Toyota rebuilt caliper it is $350 roughly and if you send it out to get rebuilt it around $100. I don't see haow it could cost $1000.

actually they are 70 - 100 bucks.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
hmm pressurized the brake fluid resivouer with my compressior and a 2 rubber inch pipe coupler and a pipe plug with a compressor fitting on it.

You shouldnt have to bleed the abs block though

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
Whats a calaper? :lol: :lol: (jk)....no seriously $1000.00 is way too much!!!! Obviously, someone thinks you were born yesterday....

Shop around....plus I have seen plenty of members selling calipers on here :)

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I got new calipers from brakes plus here in AZ , for NEW calipers installed with NEW pads was $760 out the door, with a FREE oil change, $1000 is way too much :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok, i just had the exact same problem. right front caliper froze. $1,000 is an insane price.

Take it to your local Firestone. I know, its a risk but the technicians in my town are semi-competent.

I got new caliper with pads, new rotor (warped from heat), and break fluid flush and bleed. It was about $440 out the door.

If you never worked on brake systems, I suggest you take it in to get serviced. It's not something you want to mess around with.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yeah, either get a rebuilt one from a local auto parts store or try to get a used one from this site, ebay, or a junkyard. I'm sure you can find something much cheaper. Also search for GS300 caliper also it is the same as the IS if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Sentinel said:
hmm pressurized the brake fluid resivouer with my compressior and a 2 rubber inch pipe coupler and a pipe plug with a compressor fitting on it.

You shouldnt have to bleed the abs block though
I am relocating my ABS block.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
id say its a 2 out of 10 on the difficulty. just do one at a time so you can reference the other side if you get confused. really an easy job. i could probably walk my gf thru it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts