Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a '02 IS300 as a hint towards what the Sportcross will be like. I'm looking for a fun/performance wagon. My current list is:

S4 Avant ($42K)
A4 Avant ($30-35K)
WRX ($25K)
Sportcross ($35K)

Am I missing anything else? Anyway, I have to say that the SportCross seemed to be the slowest of the bunch...except maybe the A4 (depends on which motor/tranny). While handling was crisp and it wasn't a dog, I didn't have the "whoa" feeling I get in either the S4 or the WRX.

Is it just that the IS is "sneaky fast"? Maybe I'm just fooled by the turbo spooling up. Do you have to get into high revs to really make it jump? I'm not trying to rag on the car...I'd like to like it, as it is a nice compromise between the Subie and the S4...much better fit/finish than the former, and a lot cheaper than the latter.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
im not sure if youre talkin about the is300 or the s4 when u say spool up but.... the is300 has NO turbos, the S4 has 2 of them... anyway my friend has the WRX wagon and he says it`s awesome, too bad i didnt get to drive it, he wrecked it right before i got a chance to... anyway the S4 is in a class of its own... i have a couple friends who own S4`s and they love them... the avant is an awesome car... S4`s labor, parts and maintenance will kill you later, while subaru is a little better and reliable, the lexus is the top runner as far as resale value, durability and economy....

·
Registered
38 Posts
So it's probably easier to just lease S4 since all the maint. is covered for the life of warranty. 4 yrs/50k miles. I was quoted $677 a few months ago though...330i is $550/month.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Whew, that's a big gap between prices. If you have the 42, I'd drop it on the S4, especially considering you're in the wagon market. Sportcross would be my second choice though.

One thing I notice is between our Saturn and IS300, the Saturn makes a lot of noise when I floor it, and when I do the same in the IS, I don't get all that noise which sorta gives me the feeling I'm not getting the same response - but one glance at the speedometer, and I know that's not true by a long shot. It's a very smooth engine, and that may account for the lack of "whoa", but at the same time, it's not the fastest thing on the road running over 7 seconds, so you shouldn't be surprised when comparing it to the S4.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you've got the money for the S4, go for it. The IS is kinda sneaky fast because it's so quiet when you floor and even when you get going fast there's very little perception of speed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep, I'd say you're missing something:

325i sport wagon: from $30,045
525i sport wagon: from $37,845

Not necessarily the fastest in their respective segments, but certainly the most fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by cakennedy:
Yep, I'd say you're missing something:

325i sport wagon: from $30,045
525i sport wagon: from $37,845

Not necessarily the fastest in their respective segments, but certainly the most fun to drive.
Agreed. I test drove the 525i sport wagon alone for about 11 miles, and I was more than impressed with it's cornering and acceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts