Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to get is300 within couple months
i live in maryland, washington d.c. area and yes! we do get snow...

as far as the rear wheel drive goes, how does is300 ride?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
do a search...try typing in snow :lol:

not to be a dick or anything :oops:

anyway, is300s suck in snow, bottom line....
but if you get snow tires, you will manage

i actually bought my is300 on dec 12, 2002
snowed quite hard after that but i still got around with no real major problems
i also had the 17'' stock tires...the ones with Bridgestone Potenzas
summer tires...

although i had problems getting off my driveway(its slanted), i didnt really have major problems...
i fishtail at some points but i know how to control it, etc and never caused problems...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am in Ohio and we had a shit load of snow last year. Although rear wheel isn't the most practical for snow...it is definitely doable safely. Just make sure you have NICE snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Alpines come to mind) and like any adverse driving conditions, drive careful. You will be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You'll be fine.

Get a set of GOOD snow tires (not Discount tire specials) on a spare set of rims, and you'll be good to go. I always go through the Tire Rack (mostly since they are only 25 minutes away), and have a second set of rims/tires for every car I own. I really like the Blizzaks, and have had a few sets in the past with great luck.

The IS 300, with traction control, LSD, and a set of snows will get you anywhere you need to be. I'm not even the least bit worried with mine, but am ordering my snow tires and rims tonight (just bought the car last week). My other main winter driver is a 2WD Dodge Dakota with a V8, LSD, 5-speed, and 3.92 gears. I have NO problems in snow with a little weight in the box. If that gets around, the IS will be a breeze.

Hell, some friends of mine have a 330i with Arctic Alpins and they have ZERO problems in snow.

Remember, back in the old days ALL cars were RWD and they didn't have ABS, Traction control, or even LSD. 4WD or FWD was unheard of.

Snow tires and common sense will be all you need.

Later,

G

·
8,849 Posts
Nice set of snow tires will get you where you need to be.
Never ever drive on summer tires in snow. I once got snowed in on my summer set and failed meserably on my way home.

·
Registered
262 Posts
my car

I brought my car from sf (bay area), cali... to michigan...

ugh... 16k in damages... 720 degrees on I75 south... facing north...

get winter tires :roll:

·
11,054 Posts
If you're sliding around more than the average person, it's almost never the car...it's THE TIRES!
...and ICE is ICE...nothing you can do about it even with snow tires and four wheel drive.

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
Sure you can. If there was no way to handle ice, what would the ice-skaters do? :wink:
Good snow tires will provide some traction while summer tires - none.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts