Lexus IS Forum banner

How do you remove the third brake light?

836 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SophieSleeps 
#1 ·
I want to remove it so I can get my tint done. I don't like the look of the tint film when it just goes around the light..

Any ideas as to how to remove it? Does the whole rear deck have to come out?

[ April 18, 2001: Message edited by: GMoney ]

#5 ·
Actually, when i took my car for my window tint appointment, they didnt know how to do and were willing, or should i say risking on laying the tint between the window and 3rd light housing. i was able to rmove it myself. You would have to pry it safely or else something might brake off. the deck stays intact. also you may want to check under the deck by going inside the trunk and look for plastic / metal screws that may be holding the 3rd light. i know that i wasnt able to remove the rear speakers becuase i thought that they would have a hard time in doing so. But when the car was done. they were able to do the job (a 100% well job done). i know that the 3rd light housing has a metal locking tab and the other end (closes to window) has plastic fingers that go under the deck (not sure how to describe it. sorry)
Well, hope this helps.
-jason

Originally posted by GMoney:
WHAAATT?? No way, that really sux!

#6 ·
Check in the inside outside forum...

I've detailed how to remove the rear deck.
It takes me about 10 minutes.

trdis3, every time I took out the rear deck, the third brake light came with it.

How did you remove it by itself?

Very briefly this is what you'll have to do...
1. Remove bottom seats by pulling upwards.
2. Remove upright seats.
3. Pull off the rear pillar upholstry
4. Unscrew the 3 baby seat mounts
5. Go into the trunk and push up on the white plastic pin holding the deck in.
6. Disconnect the wire that goes to the 3rd brake light.

Done...It seems extremely difficult in the explanation, but it's really not that bad at all. Most of these things come off simply by pulling.

#9 ·
hehe

Yeah...after having my rim straightened last weekend, I believe it was a good idea for now.

Everywhere else in the world people drive on roads with potholes. In MA we drive in ditches. Occasionally we have road.

I swear you could hide midgets in some of these...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.