Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intereseted in polishing stuff like....intake manifold.

Anyone know how to do this?
The tools required and compounds required.

·
Registered
286 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
Intereseted in polishing stuff like....intake manifold.

Anyone know how to do this?
The tools required and compounds required.
Dremels work well for this. Start off with a rough bit then continually step up to a finer finer piece. not sure how long that polish finished will stay looking good since i have never done a piece that is in the engine bay.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what type of dremel bit?

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
they have polishing wheels and stuff like that. you will need a metal polish that comes in stages from coarse to fine, then go at it..

they also have polishing wheels and whatnot that fit onto a normal drill and works in the same way.

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
Die grinder, A must
you will need to take the casting texture off first. I use a wire wheel to knock it down and then a bunch of sanding. 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 then coarse to fine compounds progressively on a buffing wheel in the Die grinder. It will take a long time. Once you have smoothed and polished everything, wash it with soap an water and get it clear powdercoated otherwise it will oxidize regularly. Especially with the temp cycling.

Go to http://www.eastwoodco.com they have too many things to buy for polishing ;)[/url]

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
Fig said:
bartkat said:
Are you polishing the outside for looks or the inside for flow?
does it really matter? :)
I believe it does. You would need a flex cable for inside, with smaller tools. Outside you want a mirror finish. Inside I would go for a matt finish. Shinier is not always better for flow.

I agree, it's going to take a die grinder. This is way too much for a Dremel tool.

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
bartkat said:
Fig said:
bartkat said:
I believe it does. You would need a flex cable for inside, with smaller tools. Outside you want a mirror finish. Inside I would go for a matt finish. Shinier is not always better for flow.

I agree, it's going to take a die grinder. This is way too much for a Dremel tool.
True on the flex shaft. If the intake had a lot of detail you would even need it for the outside. Yeah I guess for intakes I use a hone anyway so it is different. Sorry Bart I an ornery cuss today ;)

As far as tools goes, you can pick up a real inexpensive low duty cycle die grinder from an import tool company like harbor freight. you will need the arbor for the buffing wheels and at least two different rouge compounds to get your "bling" on Sophie.

Fig

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
Fig said:
bartkat said:
Fig said:
bartkat said:

True on the flex shaft. If the intake had a lot of detail you would even need it for the outside. Yeah I guess for intakes I use a hone anyway so it is different. Sorry Bart I an ornery cuss today ;)

As far as tools goes, you can pick up a real inexpensive low duty cycle die grinder from an import tool company like harbor freight. you will need the arbor for the buffing wheels and at least two different rouge compounds to get your "bling" on Sophie.

Fig
Yeah, Harbor Frieght has some good cheap stuff. I'd want to go slow on an intake too, so as not to make any "holes" that aren't supposed to be there. :lol:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dremel cuts to quickly and doesnt cover enough surface area. (its only good for hard to reach places)

Sanding by hand with various grit paper 400,600,800,1500,2000 then using a polishing wheel and some good sears Craftsman polsihing compunds (white, brown) and buf it till it shines!

the end.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
You could do what these guys said, or you could just have someone else polish it. It might cost more, but at least you won't be taking up an immense amount of your time.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
StarScream430 said:
Dremel cuts to quickly and doesnt cover enough surface area. (its only good for hard to reach places)

Sanding by hand with various grit paper 400,600,800,1500,2000 then using a polishing wheel and some good sears Craftsman polsihing compunds (white, brown) and buf it till it shines!

the end.
dude...this is hard aluminum...i don't think 400 would do shit to it...it's rough to begin with...i think he wants to make it like a polished wheel look...you would need to start with something like 60 and go at it till it's smooth...then move onto the finer grits.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
...damn, that's a killer project. You have to get the rough cast off first, then gradually increase the grit and then polish it. I have a guy locally who can do it...fast, and cheap. If you do it yourself, it's gonna' be a long, hard, messy job.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
lilaznboi said:
StarScream430 said:

the end.
dude...this is hard aluminum...i don't think 400 would do sh*t to it...it's rough to begin with...i think he wants to make it like a polished wheel look...you would need to start with something like 60 and go at it till it's smooth...then move onto the finer grits.
I hand polished a set of Porsche Wheels and an intake manifold already. Youd be surprised how fast 400grit cuts the rough finish off of an intake manifold when your using an orbital sander! It took me like 8hrs per wheel and like 12-16 man hours for the intake mani. Mark is right.. its a LOTTA work and It's Messy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts