Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering just how to paint on Carbon Fiber hood? Ive seen it done and many have told me to do it. I went to body shop and they not to clear on how to paint part of the hood and then having to the clear the whole thing .... sounds a bit confusing because thats just what I am as far as this goes, help me out so I can get it done!

·
Registered
10 Posts
maybe if you show them a picture of what you want done, they can see what you're talking about. If they still don't know how, then take it to a shop that does more custom paint.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
?

silvernole12 said:
maybe if you show them a picture of what you want done, they can see what you're talking about. If they still don't know how, then take it to a shop that does more custom paint.
I think most people who have been on the site know what Im referring to. I simply want to paint over a portion of my hood yellow and leave the rest carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JDM Altezza said:
they have to sand down the clear coat so that they can paint over it, and after paint they reclear coat it
Yes but do they sand the entire hood? If they did that wouldnt you not be able to see the CF clearly anymore?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
4NTOY said:
JDM Altezza said:
they have to sand down the clear coat so that they can paint over it, and after paint they reclear coat it
Yes but do they sand the entire hood? If they did that wouldnt you not be able to see the CF clearly anymore?
a good shop will sand the whole hood. when they sand it down, they are taking off the clear coat right down to the material. itll be like when they clear coat a cf hood the first time.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
you probably want it to look like this

the shop sanded the whole surface and the shot the black then clearcoated everything...sanding the whole surface won't make it look bad, if anything it helps make the gel coat look better after the clear coat is on

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
?

Yes thats exaclty how I want it to look, but my guy is no experience at doing such work nor would I trust him with it. Does anyone know a shop in the North East skilled enough to do such a thing?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: ?

4NTOY said:
Yes thats exaclty how I want it to look, but my guy is no experience at doing such work nor would I trust him with it. Does anyone know a shop in the North East skilled enough to do such a thing?
then go somewhere else...dont let unexperienced people work on your expensive hood. Would you trust tire kingdom to install your turbo? lol

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
ltunedgirl said:
you probably want it to look like this

the shop sanded the whole surface and the shot the black then clearcoated everything...sanding the whole surface won't make it look bad, if anything it helps make the gel coat look better after the clear coat is on
Wow, that car is beautiful! Is that your car ltunedgirl? If so... :eek: :p !

Anyway, yes, all that is necessary is to sand the clearcoat, paint the sides, and then reclear everything. If it is done right, you should feel no lines when you run your finger across the paint line. My paint guy had never tried it before, but I trusted him to try it because I know he is very good, despite the lack of experience painting CF.

Here's how mine turned out...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.