Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the people who tryed the SRT intake with the xerd headers, or race pipe experienced any CE lights.
I haven't decieded what to get next the xerd headers, or the race pipe.
I have the Greddy Evo exhaust, and the SRT intake with the R-ECU.
I think it was the headers people were talking about that would not work with the SRT intake, but what about the racepipe? Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
well, you shouldn't get any lights from having the srt and recu on there with the XERD headers...the only light you'll get is if you dont have the 02 sims. however in my case, i will have

XERD headers > XERD Y > dtm b > dtm rear

right now im throwing a code for a dead cat (long story ill explain later :( ). you should be perfectly fine, however...you WILL be losing power with that recu. that's why everyone was like blah blah the srt is a waste unless you aren't doing many other bolt ons. it's not tunable. so i am forced to swap out with an safc....and the recu...well..i guess will have to go on member sale/trade :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
redliningit03 said:
however...you WILL be losing power with that recu. that's why everyone was like blah blah the srt is a waste unless you aren't doing many other bolt ons.
Well you wont lose power when you add the headers or race pipe. You will definately gain performance you just wont get the maximum out of your header/pipe. Its better to have the r-ecu than not have one at all, but its better to have a afc than the r-ecu if your going to do serious NA mods.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
The SRT intake & Xerd parts WILL work together no problem any one saying that is misinformed or you are really not understand what is being said....

...The issue is not " will they work" ...of course they will work.....thereare two issues tho....

Issue 1. Is: "Will i get a CE light..?."

If you bought a XERD header then you absolutely will as that shitty business has never sent anyone on this board (as far as i know,...& i've asked) who purchased their headers over a year ago so far, the O2 SIMs they PAID for.. .if you Go XERD header be prepared to buy o2 sims separately....( the $600 price for the things at least 100 over retail of other options avail. was SUPPOSED to include the gasket & O2 SIMs...from the beginning! & he NEVER delivered on that 'promise')

Issue 2. Is: "Will my car run as good/fast as it can with those Mods"

Probably not if the R-ECU is NOT Re-Flashed by SRT FOR the header's increased flow characteristics... so the SRT R-ECU's setting are not Maximised for the Headers improvement.... without ReFlashing you are leaving some powerr on the table probably... not much tho... & the car will RUN fine, tho the Exh will be a little stinky.....

but its better to have a afc than the r-ecu if your going to do serious NA mods.
so i am forced to swap out with an safc....and the recu...well..i guess will have to go on member sale/trade

You guys better double check yerselves on that :-?

I have heard from several .net members now who have tried this, that the SRT R-ecu definitely NEEDS to be wired in there for the intake to work right... .. .you CANNOT just wire up a Safc or SafcII & get the SRT intake
to work...it remains to be seen if Adding an SAFCII to the SRT R-ECU can effectively make the same adjustments the Reflashed R-ecu would (& then some!) to take advantage of the header...

(another "issue" w/SRT besides the heavy cheap ass mild steel intake pipe & the ridiculous price...new)

...the SRT R ecu seems to effect a very wide range of adjusted parameters that supposedly even the SafcII cannot duplicate... at least 2 people tried to run the SRT intake alone & dynotune it w/ SafcII only & the tuners could not get it to run properly untill the r ecu was put back in then the Safc II was wired in, in tandem...to make additional tuning adjustments.........

It seems like if you really wanna run a decent intake & avoid CE lights either run the stock SRT & be happy & if ya get a header get the R ECU flashed for the Header to get the most out of it.... or use another intake & dyno tune it w/an SAFCII for the most header ready power,..... probably really close to the SRT's power...

[/quote][/b]

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Im runnin that set up currently and i have driven the same set up with a Injen intake and a AFCII. Even though there are power differences from car to car, the difference isnt even worth it if you already have the SRT. The only time where i can barely tell there was more power was at the low RPMs there seemed to be slightly more torque. But at wide open throttle and the needle deep into the RPM range no difference at all. Just some advice.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I talked to Marken and some others are SRT about the R-ECU... supposedly the GenII SRT E-ECU (which should say "Race-ECU" on the piggyback) has 2 programs on it.

If you install header/pipe and flash the ECU (yank the neg battery cable)... it will sense the addition over a couple hundred miles and swap over the the "header program"... that was one of the benefits that were explained to me by Marken.

I plan on just adding a pipe, but no header (too much hastle with the O2 sims and the noise would drive me crazy).... so if you just do pipe, I'm sure you'd be fine. Header could be / probably will be a waste of max potential without an S-AFC. So I have heard...

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
davefisher said:
I talked to Marken and some others are SRT about the R-ECU... supposedly the GenII SRT E-ECU (which should say "Race-ECU" on the piggyback) has 2 programs on it.

If you install header/pipe and flash the ECU (yank the neg battery cable)... it will sense the addition over a couple hundred miles and swap over the the "header program"... that was one of the benefits that were explained to me by Marken.
so to switch to the header program just reset the ecu and soon later it will sense it and swap to it?

thats sooo awesome i never knew that thanks dave!

·
Registered
548 Posts
reallly...so like, should i keep the recu wired in..and just tap on an safc..(which i already bought cheap as hell) and just dyno tune from there once i add on the header?

lane

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
redliningit03 said:
reallly...so like, should i keep the recu wired in..and just tap on an safc..(which i already bought cheap as hell) and just dyno tune from there once i add on the header?

lane
according to edgy...yes

but im not sure wouldnt hooking up the afc and r-ecu together create a conflict?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for the great info Edgy like always. Anyways here is my story. I have the Srt with the R-ecu. I bought it from Intense motor sports like a year ago. Since then I've added th XERD Header XERD racepipe.

So a few months ago I call Marken at SRT and ask him about my situation whether I should send my piggy back in to get flashed or go ahead and buy a safc. He said since I bought my intake in the last year they are designed to pickup the new Mods that I added. There was no need to send them $100 for it to be flashed or get a safc. Just unplug the neg terminal for a lil bit and it will self adjust. I was like thats cool then I will save myself some money then.

Since then I've wondered if adding a Safc would get me better gains but Aways remember Marken from SRT telling me I didn't need one the SRT will do just as good of a job.

The thing that trips me out is from everyone posting their pics of thei R-ecu they are all differnt like mine has 98 gs300 or something like that on the back and I always found that strange and Marken said it was cool and everything. Just makes you wonder a little bit, Because everyone talks about adding a SAFC and gaining so much more power that way. Maybe Mo can chime in on this one.

Justin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.