Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so there are always threads about who uses zaino, meguiar's, wax, polishes, what order, etc...

Here's the deal - post (in order) your process AND what product(s) you use. Oh, it might help if you post the color and if it's got a clearcoat.
for example:

GGP - clearcoat
1. Rinse car
2. Wash with Meguiar's Gold Class car wash using 100% Cotton towels
3. Rinse Car
4. Dry using different 100% Cotton towels
If not using clay bar, move to step 7, otherwise:
5. Zaino's Z-18 Claybar and ____ lubricant, wipe with 100% Cotton towels.
6. Repeat steps 1-3
7. Thin line of tape over XPEL end (for The Don)
8. Wax with Meguiar's Gold Class wax using 100% cotton towels
9. Rinse, remove tape, dry with 100% Cotton towels

Get the idea?? I thought this would be a good addition to that car-washing post in the FAQ. 8)
(If not, ah well...I tried!!)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Black Onyx

1. Wash car for loose dirt with water
2. Wash car with Turtle Wax Jetwash or Zaino Wash ( I use a sponge or a mitt)
3. Spray wheels with Meguiars wheel cleaner and rinse (note most of the time this only works if your rims are in an already clean condition, so be sure to get down there and scrub if they are dirty)
4. Rinse car and dry with chamois cloth or 100% cotton towel
5. (Claybar once or twice a month then rewash and dry)
6. Apply Zaino Wax with ZFX Accelerator and wait 15 minutes between coats.

Couple notes

1.NEVER let your car "air-dry" unless you want to see a soapy film on your car in the form of little spots. Always hand-dry!!

2.NEVER take your car to a car-wash machine. Those things grain your paint :shame:

3.Wash teh underbody once and a while with water for loose dirt!

4. Consult .netters before using a new product on your IS :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flproject13 said:
Black Onyx

1. Wash car for loose dirt with water
2. Wash car with Turtle Wax Jetwash or Zaino Wash
3. Spray wheels with Meguiars wheel cleaner and rinse (note most of the time this only works if your rims are in an already clean condition, so be sure to get down there and scrub if they are dirty)
4. Rinse car and dry
5. (Claybar once or twice a month then rewash and dry)
6. Apply Zaino Wax with ZFX Accelerator and wait 15 minutes between coats.
Fantastic, glad to see it's started.
(Please include any kind of mits/towels, etc... that you use as well) :D

·
Registered
937 Posts
Crystal White (clearcoat)

1. Inspect car for dust, dirt, bird droppings, and other contaminants.
2. Spray contaminants with Meguiar's Quik Detailer and wipe off with a clean shop towel.
3. Dust car with California Car Duster.
4. Clean windows with Stoner's Invisible Glass.

Once every three months, take car to detailer. :chill:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Silver Mist
1. Rinse with water
2. Shampoo and clean with Meguiars. One panel at a time, one side at a time. Also do the wheels
3. Chammy to dry, and wipe again with old tshirt

Optional:
4. Wax with Meguiars
5. Clean/vacuum inside

All done

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Same as bk9

·
Registered
11 Posts
TCM:

1. Dawn.
2. Rinse.
3. Clay.
4. Wash w/Z-7
5. Dry.
6. Z-2 w/ZFX
7. Z-6
8. Repeat 6-7 twice.
9. Stare at my car for a few hours, and enjoy!

(first zaino application this weekend...looks great)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
How do you clean the inside? How do you shampoo floor mats like they do at a car wash? And how do you get the dash clean of all the dust and crap that accumulates?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
GGP (w/ Xpel):

- Wash (use Dawn if you wish to remove old layers of wax/polish)...dry.
- Clay w/ lube (I use Maquires QD spray).
- Wash...dry.
- 3M SMR for dark colored cars (twice a year only).
- Klasse AIO.
- 2-3 (or 4-5) coats of Klasse SG.
- 2 coats of P21S wax as topper.

optional - Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl QD spray every other day to keep luster and shine.

Use automotive Qtips or toothpicks to remove wax/polish buildup (if any) from Xpel hood line.

Edit:

Windows - Stoner Invisible Glass with MF towel (or newspaper).
Dash - Lexol Vinylex. To dust, I just wipe it down with a MF towel whenever dusty.
Leather (2-3 times a year) - Lexol Leather Cleaner followed up with Lexol Leather Conditioner
Floormats - for my carpet floormats, I use the Bissell Little Green Steam Machine a couple times a year. I've had my all-weather mats in for a while now, so all I do is just rinse 'em down with the hose.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wino_II said:
four20 said:
Interesting, never heard of this...care to explain?
Yea its true i just found out about it!! if you spray window cleaner on your windows(Windex) and wipe it off with newspaper it works great, no streaks!! I didnt believe it at first but i tried it and it works great, as long as you dont mind getting ink on your hands!!

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Wino_II said:
four20 said:
Interesting, never heard of this...care to explain?
it's an old trick.. been around for a long time.. I can't believe you never heard of using newspaper to wipe your windows.... :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
As needed (and that could be just about every day)...Meguire's quick detailer w/microfibre towel

Every couple/three weeks during summer and about every other week in winter (it's so dry in summer you only get dust here) Wash
1. Get up super early - avoid waterspotting
2. Wash with Meguires
3. Dry with big blue microfibre
4. Tires - I use some stuff called Autosol Reifen-Glanz Tyre Shine. It's from Germany and works great. Used to get it at Restoration Hardware of all places, but now they stopped carrying it. Unfortunately I'm on my last can so I'm soon to be searching for it. So if you know where to get it...
5. Windows - Stoner Invis. glass w/newspaper

Twice a year - once pre summer, once post:
Wax w/ Klasse AIO - Apply with microfibre applicators and buff with micro towels.

Clean, damp cloth to wipe down dash.

Lexus Ecsaine cleaner for the seats

Pledge furniture polish for the lower plastic kick panels. Yep, works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rear window

I'm a lazy bum so what tricks and tips do you have to clean the inside of the rear window. Normal towels don't seem to get all the way to the base of the window where it meets the rear speaker shelf. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
pmergler said:
I just started using Aerospace 303 protectant. I absolutely love it. They have a review of it here http://www.properautocare.com/303-16.html
Are you using this all over the dash? Have you noticed any change in the matte finish of the trim that surrounds the center? Everything I've seen others try leaves it somewhat shiny. That's why I've stuck to just water. Out here in the desert something with the UV protectant that wasn't shiny/oily would be a great.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
ISthreeza said:
pmergler said:
I just started using Aerospace 303 protectant. I absolutely love it. They have a review of it here http://www.properautocare.com/303-16.html
Are you using this all over the dash? Have you noticed any change in the matte finish of the trim that surrounds the center? Everything I've seen others try leaves it somewhat shiny. That's why I've stuck to just water. Out here in the desert something with the UV protectant that wasn't shiny/oily would be a great.
I think there's non shiny Armor All and similar products. I've got some Prolong cleaner and protectant that isn't shiny. Keeps the dash from reflecting in the windshield.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts