Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw it in the trailer for The Fast And The Furious and wondered "why did that happen."

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Generally it's caused by unburned gas that flows with the exhaust and when it gets to the end of the tunnel (exhaust system) it becomes so heated that it ignites.

There are people out there with remote spray/spark systems (using a spark plug usually and a very small nozzle) that can flip a switch and turn on the "flames" but IMO it's pretty damn stupid.

RX-7's have a tendancy to do it a lot, has something to do with those crazy rotary engines and their insane engine speeds.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually let me clear this all up cause I guess no one knows what they are talking about...

Flames out the exhaust is very simple. You remove the catalytic converters, and then when you are shifting gears (manual tranny) you do not get off the gas. Unburnt gas makes it in their and gets ignited causing flames.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I consider this another one of those useless posts similar to the washer nozzle lights.

If you want flames, get a hibachi. As for me, the only thing I do w/my IS is DRIVE it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by webguyIS:
Generally it's caused by unburned gas that flows with the exhaust and when it gets to the end of the tunnel (exhaust system) it becomes so heated that it ignites.

There are people out there with remote spray/spark systems (using a spark plug usually and a very small nozzle) that can flip a switch and turn on the "flames" but IMO it's pretty damn stupid.

RX-7's have a tendancy to do it a lot, has something to do with those crazy rotary engines and their insane engine speeds.
Also the fact that rotaries tend to run quite hot. If you want flames, don't plan on getting an MSD ignition cuz that will burn all the unburned gas hehe.

I have a video of the British TV show Top Gear where the host Tiff Needell (former F1 driver) is driving a Porsche GT1 race car (carbon fiber body, mid-engine layout), and that car spat flames upon EVERY downshift. It's one awesome car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Umm those flames are a little large hehe. The ones on that Porsche were just little pops upon downshifting. I have another video of an RX-7 racecar in Japan doing the same thing.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Old "hot rodders" used to install an extra spark plug in their tailpipe. They could flip a switch on the dashboard to make the flames when they wanted to scare the car behind them. That was back in the day before computerized fuel injections when imprecise carburetors left plenty of unburned fuel in the tailpipe.

These days factory stock cars don't have anything left to burn back there. You do see race cars (particularly ones with turbos and short exhausts) doing some flaming while coasting down in gear (during engine braking). The Rx7s (real hot exhaust) and Porsche 911 (turbos with short exhaust) are notorious for that.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by hrana:
Actually let me clear this all up cause I guess no one knows what they are talking about...
Riiiiight... you know, since shifting gears automatically tells the car "hey, no spark! no spark for you!".

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick89:
Also the fact that rotaries tend to run quite hot. If you want flames, don't plan on getting an MSD ignition cuz that will burn all the unburned gas hehe.

I have a video of the British TV show Top Gear where the host Tiff Needell (former F1 driver) is driving a Porsche GT1 race car (carbon fiber body, mid-engine layout), and that car spat flames upon EVERY downshift. It's one awesome car.
Post a link to that video if you can. I have a bunch of Top Gear Videos, but not that one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just this past weekend...My bro an I we're cruising on the highway in his 'lude at night when we came upon this motorcycle.

He kinda looked over at us so... Then, I don't know what he did but sounded like revving with some clutch action and FLAMES were coming out of his exhaust. It was the COOLEST thing in the dark. We didn't race or anything cause he had a passenger...but man was that cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts