Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to cars and Im sure I shouldn't really do anything crazy but drifting looks soooo cool. Would you turn off TRAC or not? How would you spin the steering wheel? etc.. Also.. plzzzzz could you guys explain what ECU/TRAC upgrade all this talk is about in the forum? What exactly is ECU/TRAC?? Thanks..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Turn off the traction control, take a sharp turn at a fairly high speed and floor the pedal as your turning sharply... your rear will break loose.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hachi Roku...The Legend Continues with the SXE-10!

Drifting made easy:
1. Turn of Traction and turn on Power
2. For beginners go to a large empty parking lot and put the car in first (move the shifter to the bottom, cause we got auto!)
3. Punch the gas and at about 3750 rpms flick the steering wheel sharply to one direction. By flick I mean turn the steering wheel really quick by using a wrist snap motion like you would whip some one with a towel at the pool.
4. The back end of your car should come out (you kept your foot floored didn't you!)
5. Now with the back going out, turn the wheel the other way to counter steer it (which should bring the car back to straight). You should be floored the whole time! But let of the gas if you want to stop.

Now you are drifting! But be careful when you do this, and never try it on the street as unpredictable surfaces will send you into a wall. I recomend a very large empty parking lot so you and others won't be in danger.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Here's how they told us to do it at the BMW Skills class - on the wet skidpad:
Get up to speed in 2nd gear in a circle - maybe 4000 rpms, let off the gas abruptly, turn in the wheel (into direction you're turning) and then stomp the gas. Be prepared to countersteer (opposite direction you turned into) to maintain the slide and keep from spinning.
Best thing would be to sign up for a BMW class (or another club) - they take any car - and they'd love to see an IS300 (seriously).

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
change ur camber setting for easier drift
front wheels: negative camber to the extreme
rear wheels: lil bit of negative camber

my friend likes to drift w/ his mitsu 3000GT oor montero sport(?) on highway ramps... usually w/ me in it...
soo fun...

i think u r gonna kill urself if u try doing that sh|t since u dont know how to drift at first place...

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
I still prefer the pour-oil-on driveway-then pull-in-at-30-mph technique....
Works like a charm.
Good luck trying not to kill yourself you dope

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
What you guys are describing is throttle induced oversteer. For certain cars, it is the fastest and sometimes the best way around an autocross course.

I used to induce oversteer all the time in my '85 Corolla GTS (AE86/Hachiroku) when I actively autocrossed. The technique was to take a fairly early apex and jab the accelerator to allow the rear to come around. Sometimes countersteering was necessary sometimes not, depends on the corner and the speed I carried into it.

The appropriate alignment settings sometimes helps to induce the oversteer. A large (my Corolla had a huge bar) rear sway bar also helps get the tail out. Tire pressure adjustments can sometimes assist.

However, I thought drifting involved getting all wheels (front and back) to slide. I've done this also in my Corolla. Go to Club4AG and look in Gallery 8 to see my red AE86 drifting at an auto-x.

I recommend only drifting in a controlled area such as an autocross event. Preferably not when trying to get your actual times, but maybe during fun-runs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts