Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to do everything but it seems when I try to move the little bolt with 6-8 points it does not move at all. My E-brake is still loose. Someone please explain the process to do this and what way to turn that little bolt thing.

Here is the best picture I could find for an example.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It is hard to move, you adjust it with the drum over the brake and you can use a screwdriver or brake adjustment tool to pry against the drum to move it. There is a hole in the drum for adjustment purposes.

Reactions: SilentAttack

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drivers side moved very easily. I moved it so I could still turn the rotor by hand. The passenger side does not want to budge no matter how hard I try to turn it.
+rep for the help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try some rust eater or WD-40 to break the passenger side adjuster loose. You want to be able to turn it. I use a dab of white lighium inside when I rebuild those. It keeps it from seizing up. You may have to disassemble the passenger side to get that adjuster out to try to get it working again. Or just replace it with a new adjuster (I'd do both if you go that route).

You should be able to adjust both so your park brake feels firmer. But be careful not to adjust too much as you do not want any brake drag either.

Reactions: SilentAttack

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I will give it another shot when I replace my rotors.

+rep 4 u

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
or you can drive in reverse and pull the ebrake.........thats the ghetto style (learned that from my mechanic) and no ive never done it to my IS, but hes done it to other cars.....

if wd-40 dont work try liquid wrench

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
linner420 said:
or you can drive in reverse and pull the ebrake.........thats the ghetto style (learned that from my mechanic) and no ive never done it to my IS, but hes done it to other cars.....

if wd-40 dont work try liquid wrench
I may just put it up on the lift and do the reverse thing you were talking about. Seems weird but I will give it a try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SilentAttack said:
I may just put it up on the lift and do the reverse thing you were talking about. Seems weird but I will give it a try.

That trick will not work here. There is no adjuster lever that would rotate the adjuster. You can see in the pics that the only adjustment here is done with a screwdriver or brake adjustment tool.

That reverse trick works on drum brake cars that have the lever that moves the adjuster wheel. Most brakes now days are designed to adjust when going forward too. Older brakes used to adjust only in reverse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts