Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
here check out this link
http://is300forum.com/fix/fixes/grill.html

Removing the Front Grill:

To remove the front grill there are 5 screws that need to be first taken out. 1) There is one metal screw in the center that holds the back of the grill. Remove this!

2) Next, there are 4 plastic screws. 2 on either side of the grill, attatched to the bumper. Unscrew the screw until the center piece raises up. Then lift the whole screw up by the base (These are special screws designed by Toyota.)

3) Next, the bumper needs to be unclipped from the back. There are 3 points where it is clipped in. Use a flashlight and you will see the 3 points which the bumper is clipped in.

4) Slide those clips away from the grill, and push the grill towards the car and it should pop out.

Credit: This information was obtained from SophieSleeps via the forum.

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: WHITE_IS300 ]

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
if you still aren't sure about it, it will be cheaper to pay someone, then to break it trying and have to buy another one.

it should be 2 plastic locks on each side, and a bolt in the middle on the back.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey one more question i have see some body kits with the grill taken out and some is300s wiht teh grill taken out is that a special grill or did they take the grill out and leav it liek that if so its looks cool and i will do it but is it safe can people get in my engine

·
Registered
401 Posts
lexus300 said:
hey one more question i have see some body kits with the grill taken out and some is300s wiht teh grill taken out is that a special grill or did they take the grill out and leav it liek that if so its looks cool and i will do it but is it safe can people get in my engine
Oh boy. Its a black mesh grill, like this - http://www.lextasy.com/is300_rmm_grille_922_prd1.htm

·
8,803 Posts
kick it hard, it will come out.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I still can't understand how people are braking the tabs off the grill.
The installation is relitively simple... so unless people are over tightening
the bolts? Donno, but it's wierd.

Good luck.

j

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
n2knee said:
any special tools needed? i got my "new" grill today, so i'm anxious to put it on.

No way man :lol:

Just take it off with the DIY

Its cake

·
Registered
401 Posts
n2knee said:
so just screw driver is needed?
A phillips to undo the screws on the top, and a flathead is helpful in "unlocking" the three tabs on the back bottom of the grill. Push the grill toward the radiator. You'll figure the rest out on your own.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
the three tabs below are a pain to remove. i will continue tomorrow as i don't have enough lighting and i can't see much in there.

i opened the box that contained the "new" grill. this is the grill.

i don't think super glue will do any good. it must have been damaged while in transit. i don't want to point fingers. i just want to get it installed by saturday, as i will be hanging out with some honda/acura crew on that day :lol:

since i have the cf TRD grill, i was thinking of using the frame instead of the existing frame that came with my "new" grill. of course some cutting of the grill is required. i was looking at the back of the TRD grill and it uses screws to hold the grill instead of that ghetto wire that holds most custom fabricated grills. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
401 Posts
What kind of grill is that?
If one tab broke off, it shouldn't be a big deal since the grill is so redudant in how it attaches.
The tabs aren't difficult to dettach. Just push them down with a flathead and then push the grill into the car. It takes very little force.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
kgelster said:
What kind of grill is that?
If one tab broke off, it shouldn't be a big deal since the grill is so redudant in how it attaches.
The tabs aren't difficult to dettach. Just push them down with a flathead and then push the grill into the car. It takes very little force.
that is a custom fabricated grill, which I purchased from a fellow member (Flatline). i'll try what you suggested. thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts