Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHEN DISCONNECTING THE NEGATVIE I GO INTO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND GO STRAIT TO BATTERY AND PULL OF NEGATIVE COMPLETELEY OFF AND PUSH IN THE BRAKE PEDAL TO DRAIN IT>

How do i start my car backup?

(just reconnect the batery and start the car and the ecu is reset :chill:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
lol...yup hes right

·
Registered
251 Posts
why would you need to step on the break to drain the battery??

·
Registered
201 Posts
to use up any remaining juice in left in the system. Capacitors are funny things, they seem to like holding a charge after the source has been removed from the system :wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
TrustGs-R said:
to use up any remaining juice in left in the system. Capacitors are funny things, they seem to like holding a charge after the source has been removed from the system :wink:
I found this out the hard way after removing the system from my last car. I managed to leave a might big electrical burn on my hand after I thought the capacitor was discharged...oops :eek:

·
Registered
201 Posts
ouch. Good thing that cap didn't have a crazy amount of charge left in it.

If you ever service a TV or monitor...do NOT touch the capacitors inside one of those bad boys unless you KNOW it has been discharged....you will most likely be killed. :crazy:

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
or, you can open up the ECU box. remove the clip that holds the power cable. ( i just unclip the first two to be safe) wait 1-2 minutes. then clip them back in.

you dont need to disconnect the battery and lose your radio settings. this is enough to reset your ecu.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is the ECU reset???

After I left the shop where I installed my Dragger2, I reset the ECU by pulling the + cable for 3 seconds. Is this good enough to reset my ECU or should I have waited 5-20 minutes as suggesed? I did loose my radio stations and bass/tremble settings........so I guess it did the job, I dunno. I have been driving the car hard for about 100 miles, but the first and second gears are a little rough.....hense my question about whether or not my ECU is actually reset.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Re: Is the ECU reset???

DaGriffy1 said:
After I left the shop where I installed my Dragger2, I reset the ECU by pulling the + cable for 3 seconds. Is this good enough to reset my ECU or should I have waited 5-20 minutes as suggesed? I did loose my radio stations and bass/tremble settings........so I guess it did the job, I dunno. I have been driving the car hard for about 100 miles, but the first and second gears are a little rough.....hense my question about whether or not my ECU is actually reset.
lexus claims that their ECU can stand 15min of power outtage...
just step on the brakes or turn the interior lights on to drain out those leftover juices.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, after resetting the ECU and starting the car up, should you drive the car hard so that it can learn those setting or just normal driving is good enought ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Is the ECU reset???

blueIS said:
DaGriffy1 said:
lexus claims that their ECU can stand 15min of power outtage...
just step on the brakes or turn the interior lights on to drain out those leftover juices.
OK...........I will take off the negative terminal tonight (I guess you can take either + or - cables off, just the negative one for precautionary reasons) for 20 minutes. That should be long enough to drain the power. Then I will drive it like I stole it for 500 miles.

Yes Bloody_Finga you should drive it hard for the first few hundred miles so that your controller relearns your mods and how well your car is breathing. You are basically tuning your car for the most optimal output.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I uninstall my SRT intake and still my CEL blinks. @ first driving my car and NOT a single light came on until 5 or 10 miles then the CEL comes up. I disconnected the battery while uninstalling and soldering couple of wires into my ECU. Any reasons?

BTW I have Toyomoto Y-Pipe and HKS Hiper.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
WhiteLex03 said:
I uninstall my SRT intake and still my CEL blinks. @ first driving my car and NOT a single light came on until 5 or 10 miles then the CEL comes up. I disconnected the battery while uninstalling and soldering couple of wires into my ECU. Any reasons?

BTW I have Toyomoto Y-Pipe and HKS Hiper.
Anyone!?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
WhiteLex03 said:
If it's not a faulty o2 sim....then you need to get the code cleared or else it's gonna stay there. I reset my ecu yesterday after cleaning my maf sensor also hoping to get rid of my cel. Well, it didn't...so I just went to my local shop to get it scanned and cleared. It's my o2 sim that's producing the cel...I already know mine is faulty lol.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
what's the point in reseting the ECU....like i got my intake put in my CEL hasn't gone on ever since i put it in but i never reseted my ECU...does something happen when you reset the ECU?? like more power =P

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Sorry to say but no^^^ It would be nice though.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
E12iC46 said:
Well, it didn't...so I just went to my local shop to get it scanned and cleared. It's my o2 sim that's producing the cel...I already know mine is faulty lol.
What do you mean by getting it cleared? How?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts