Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime I just sit and wonder how it is they determine the name for each model. Do they call is the IS300 because its a in-line 6, 3.0? Whats it all based on?

·
8,827 Posts
IS - International Sedan
GS - Grand Sedan
LS - Luxury Sedan
SC - Sport Coupe

Don't remember the rest.
X stands for SUV

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
4NTOY said:
Sometime I just sit and wonder how it is they determine the name for each model. Do they call is the IS300 because its a in-line 6, 3.0? Whats it all based on?
the number designation is based on the engine size. the --300 has a 3.0 litre engine, the --430 has a 4.3 litre engine, etc.

·
Registered
679 Posts
vlad_a said:
Don't remember the rest.
X stands for SUV
X = maybe....eXpedition
RX = Road Expedition
LX - Luxury Expedition
GX = Grand Expedition

I dunno....sometimes I think companies just make stuff up because they spend $1,000,000,000 on developing a new car, re-tooling factories, advertising, that they have no money left in the budget for the "Name for New Car" column. :lol:

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
X means all wheel drive...

even BMW uses it to signify all wheel drive... so does Jaguar in the XJ series.

Only the LS, SC, ES, and GS models had meaning. The newer models can only be judged on their engine size. RX doesnt really stand for anything, or if it does, its never been publicily stated like the others have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
YodaIsGod said:
I dunno....sometimes I think companies just make stuff up because they spend $1,000,000,000 on developing a new car, re-tooling factories, advertising, that they have no money left in the budget for the "Name for New Car" column. :lol:
This is what I think, just based on reasoning.. I could be way off:

The names are ambiguously code-like so that you associate the car with the manufacturer. It's the same reason why the integra was renamed the RSX at the cost of losing recognition for that model. That way, a model's success is accredited more to the manufacturer.

When a car is a notorious lemon, say, the Taurus, people first think, "man, Tauruses suck." Their next thought would then be, "who's responsible for that piece of crap?" When a car model xyz300 something-or-other does badly though, it's also easily forgotten because the name itself is not as easy to remember by the general public.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.