Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well when i bought my car it already had the carbon fiber hood but it was i guess really oxidated or sun damaged and its really hard to clean it. i have to clean it maybe every 2 weeks to keep it shiny.
i never owned a carbon fiber hood before, is this normal?

or is there an easier way to keep it all shiny?

thanks

isaac

Reactions: hit_it

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Im curious also. I am now a owner of a CF hood and would like to know as well. Also this might be helpful to the thread maker but for everyone else.

Is there anything you can do to prevent it from fading? or at least slow the process down at any rate...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
the reason why your hood goes back to looking like crap is becuase you are just waxing it and not taking car of the whats realy causing the haze...

polish it just like you would your paint...a porter cable buffer would be the right choice on the hood with a light polish...then use a sealer rather than a wax..

polish and wax ar two different things.

·
Registered
57 Posts
laugh all you want, but my buddy w/ his S2000 was told by a memebr on S2KI.com to put a jar or creamy peanut butter on it, let it sit in the shade for about an hour, and then clean it, then wax it. So we went out and bought a jar of JIF, tried it out and sure enough it worked. Sounds really off the wall, I know, but something about the peanut oils and fats restored the shine to his oxidzed CF hood.

·
Registered
117 Posts
laugh all you want, but my buddy w/ his S2000 was told by a memebr on S2KI.com to put a jar or creamy peanut butter on it, let it sit in the shade for about an hour, and then clean it, then wax it. So we went out and bought a jar of JIF, tried it out and sure enough it worked. Sounds really off the wall, I know, but something about the peanut oils and fats restored the shine to his oxidzed CF hood.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
the solution to it all is garage your car.
bingo mandingo.. listen to this mans advice. CF hoods fade from the sun, no way around it.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
LOL! that is some funny stuff! true or not...that would be a PITA job cleaning the peanut butter, stuff is all sticky

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
There is only 2 things you can do.........1. Use M3 rubbing compound (which can be bought at Kragen, Autozone etc at the paint aisle) with a high speed buffer 2-3 times over the hood depending on oxidation and then wash it off with soapy water and dry. If you have done it right the oxidation will be gone, but the hood will still be slightly dull. pour some water over it then to see if the carbon still looks good (yellow means dunzos) if everything looks good then apply wax over then buff. 2. If the rubbing compound did not work then you will need to wet sand your hood with a 400 grit sand paper real good. Try to get all the clearcoat out, but don't sand all the resin off bare to the carbon fiber. After you have sanded, dry the hood and check for anything still shiny on your hood. If you see something shinny sand it off. Try to sand in a circular motion for an even sand and then when done dry off the hood and take it to a local body shop for clear coat. The cost will vary, but for 80.00-100.00 bucks they will do it since you have done all the work prepping it. Just make sure that they use a cleaner solution prior to spraying the clear coat so there is no grease or oils on the hood. Tell them you want 3 coats. If you go early you can get your hood back on your car the same day. Let the clear dry at least a week before you wash it. You may need to take it back to the body shop for a wet sand and buff which takes 30-60 mins. BAAAAAM......
..........................................new hood.:approve:

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Well thankfully to me My hood has already been cleared by 300iss when i bought it from me. I have a porter cable and i guess ill go out and buy some polish and what not. Is it a good idea to clay bar the hood everyonce and a while or possibly every wash? will that help remove any contaminants or oxidation?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ive been just using that plastix by meguire. i would wash the hood then put some of that plastic x and some elbow grease. ill try that 3m next time. i thought there was an easier way. dont really have the money to re coat it.

im sorry for this stupid question but um...so theres a wax remover, polish, wax and theres also a sealer?

whats the difference between a sealer and a wax?

thanks

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
wow.. you guys need some detailing 101 classes

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
haha I detail my own car and keep it clean. You can always learn more and since this is my first CF hood i would like to know all options on getting the most use out of it before I end up painting the whole thing MSM when its faded so much it looks bad.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
haha I detail my own car and keep it clean. You can always learn more and since this is my first CF hood i would like to know all options on getting the most use out of it before I end up painting the whole thing MSM when its faded so much it looks bad.
here is what i would do...

1. wash the hood with dawn dish soap to remove any wax etc.

2. use a claybar and use it on the entire hood

3. use a polishing compound like Zaino ZPC with a porter cable buffer with a light cut pad. repeat this a couple times. buff off by hand when dry

4. use another light cut pad and use a paint cleaner such as Zaino Z5 with the ZFX additive. a couple coats should work. buf off when dry

5. final coat use Zaino Z2 by han with the ZFX additive. apply a few coats of this. allow to dry and buff by hand

6. use a QD and wipe the hood down. that should take car of the haze.

if your gel coat is yellowing, have the hood professionally sanded down and re-cleared. if you were local i would do it for you...

good luck

BTW 400 grit papr is way too rough for this application...600 wet hat plenty of bite

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can use polish and everything but the best results I have experienced is with the Meguairs Marine Wax/Polish. Boats are made of Fiberglass covered with a Resin and they yellow after a while as the resin turns yellow as the resin on 95% of carbon (unless you have jdm carbon which is normally cleared). You can get it at your boat store and it works great, restored my hood to brand new.

-Will

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
There is only 2 things you can do.........1. Use M3 rubbing compound (which can be bought at Kragen, Autozone etc at the paint aisle) with a high speed buffer 2-3 times over the hood depending on oxidation and then wash it off with soapy water and dry. If you have done it right the oxidation will be gone, but the hood will still be slightly dull. pour some water over it then to see if the carbon still looks good (yellow means dunzos) if everything looks good then apply wax over then buff. 2. If the rubbing compound did not work then you will need to wet sand your hood with a 400 grit sand paper real good. Try to get all the clearcoat out, but don't sand all the resin off bare to the carbon fiber. After you have sanded, dry the hood and check for anything still shiny on your hood. If you see something shinny sand it off. Try to sand in a circular motion for an even sand and then when done dry off the hood and take it to a local body shop for clear coat. The cost will vary, but for 80.00-100.00 bucks they will do it since you have done all the work prepping it. Just make sure that they use a cleaner solution prior to spraying the clear coat so there is no grease or oils on the hood. Tell them you want 3 coats. If you go early you can get your hood back on your car the same day. Let the clear dry at least a week before you wash it. You may need to take it back to the body shop for a wet sand and buff which takes 30-60 mins. BAAAAAM......
..........................................new hood.:approve:
If you have a CF hood without a clearcoat, NOTHING you can do will work.

NOTHING.

I've sanding and polished, I've used meguairs marine gelcoat/fiberglass polish, to no avail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what you do:

1. Pour water on the hood. If while the layer of water is on the hood, it looks perfect, GOOD, go to step 2.

2. Save a $100 or so.

3. Go to a body shop, and tell them to re-finish the hood (wetsand, and clearcoat).

4. Ignore their concerns about it not working, IT WILL.

5. Pay body shop.

6. Pull away happy, and care for your hood just as you would paint.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did this exact thing, and my hood looks better/smoother than it did before. The gelcoat is very hard, and most paintcare products are not going to work.

Keep in mind, bodyshops are clearcoating just about every car they work on, so clearcoating a hood does not involve all that much work. The shop I took it to was not sure if it would work, but the position I was in was such that clearcoating it couldn't make it worse, and when all was said and done, it was flawless.

I wish I would have taken before/after pics, my fading/oxidation/sunwear was bad. Oh yea, heat from the engine was my main cause of this fading. Gaurantee that anyone with fading on their CF hood is doing so directly above the exhaust manifold.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts