Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow sweet ass car owners. I just recently bought a 01 (IS300) about a month and a half ago(first one and i LUV it), And i went through the same thing alot of people on here went through which is the whole O2 sensor thing.
i figured that out (B1S2,B2S2) it wasnt that bad. I also had to replace the plugs too not too bad either but not too quick. So now i got my feet wet on a 2JZ motor. now I've found out i thimk i need a Head Gasket. Could anyone PLEASE give me a detailed DIY on how to do that?.....and also do you have to time it again? Thanks a big bunch in advance.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Hymmm, what makes you think the headgasket is bad? Is the coolant and oil mixing together? If you really want to replace the headgasket, search for the repair manual. It's been posted on the forum but in a nutshell, replacing the headgasket involves:

- removing the intake
- removing the cam covers
- removing the timing belt tensioner and slide the belt off the cam gears
- removing the cam gears
- removing the camshafts, the journals need to be removed in a special sequence to avoid damaging the camshaft
- remove the head bolts, these need to be removed in a special sequence as well
- lift the head off the block

It's a good weekend job if you got all the tools and a friend to help out.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hymmm, what makes you think the headgasket is bad? Is the coolant and oil mixing together? If you really want to replace the headgasket, search for the repair manual. It's been posted on the forum but in a nutshell, replacing the headgasket involves:

- removing the intake
- removing the cam covers
- removing the timing belt tensioner and slide the belt off the cam gears
- removing the cam gears
- removing the camshafts, the journals need to be removed in a special sequence to avoid damaging the camshaft
- remove the head bolts, these need to be removed in a special sequence as well
- lift the head off the block

It's a good weekend job if you got all the tools and a friend to help out.
Thanks for the speedy reply i appreciate it alot(since I'm new and have no rep yet) well i think its the HG because i'm having some weird heating isuues in it(blows out cold 85% of the time),and when i start the car it will get in the red(on temp Gauge) in about 5 min, also sometimes i hear a gurggling sound in the cabin. But when i changed the plugs the one in the very front was covered in oil but i didnt really notice any mixture(oil/coolant) I just replaced the thermostat in it last night and it didnt seem to do any good. I'm hoping its not the head gasket but I'm thinking it is could you offer some insight please? Oh and i did get the actual coolant that our sweet ass cars require...lol.............BTW(for future reference) do i use "quick reply" or "reply with qoute sorry I'm a total newb to this sight But it is the [email protected]%T!!!

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
The gurggling sound in the cabin is normal. Coming from behind the AC vents? completely normal.

Are you getting a CEL? If you are plug it up and see what codes your throwing. I would think if your temp is getting that hot within 5 minutes your tossin a CEL.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Def sounds like air in the coolant circuit. Lift the front end of the car high off the ground. Then idle the car for a good 20-30 min with the radiator cap off. This should burp the system.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks ALOT for all the tips from everyone. I'm gonna go out to my garage right now and see if i can burp it. I will definitly post something back letting eveyone know what happened...btw thanks for the answer on the gurggling thing good piece of mind to know that.........also can i burp the system by squeezing the top radiator hose? cause i don't have acces to a hill like that and I'm afraid to drive it.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Squeezing the top radiator hose won't help you at all if the air's in the heater core. You need to have the nose of the car up either with a lift (with jackstands!) or a hill. Let it idle long enough that the thermostat opens and the cooling fans cycles several times. You may need to top off the radiator while you do this.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
yes, and fill it up as you go, dont need it to the top until you put the cap back on, then top up the overflow tank.

Any air still in there should cycle out through the over flow tank with heating and cooling cycles.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Dont Open Cap When Hot Either! You Will Burn Your Face :)
Thanks! This is a big important point that I should have clarified.

Make sure the cap is off (while the car is cool) when you start this process. Never open it when the car is hot.

·
Registered
760 Posts
oh, and oil on the #1 plug is kinda normal. LOTS of people will spill some oil when they change the oil or add oil to the engine, and guess where it always likes to go.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok here's watsup when i changed the thermo I dont think i put the new coolant in "properly" so took all of what you guys said and it seems to be working WOOHOO! still havnt tried the jackstand thing yet but thats my next step...So sorry to everyone for naming the thread the way i did, but i still wouldnt mind having a DIY on changing that HG though if its out there...Oh and it makes since about the oil going down in there cause apparently the person that owned it before me was obviously lazy and did not deserve to have a 2JZ...(but i do!!!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
i got the same problems buh i check it out wit an obd and these codes came up..

P0300
P0301
P0302
P0303
- Multiple cylinder misfire in 1 2 & 3

P0115 - engine coolant temp sensor 1 circuit

P0161 - 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2

how do i fix all these problems...?

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
i got the same problems buh i check it out wit an obd and these codes came up..

P0300
P0301
P0302
P0303
- Multiple cylinder misfire in 1 2 & 3

P0115 - engine coolant temp sensor 1 circuit

P0161 - 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2

how do i fix all these problems...?
B2S2 seems irrelevant to the other problems(bad sensor possibly), have you checked your ignition components for cylinders 1-3? What makes you think you have a head gasket problem? Does your car lack in performance, ever been severely overheated, or notice oil in coolant or vice versa? If so, then you start with a compression test, followed by a leak down test if nessesary. Check the condition of the plugs and see what they look like, or try new ones if they are in need of replacing. Does the car heat up properly? Need to know some background and info about why these codes have come up.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Was wondering can u open the overflow tank instead of the radiator cap? And fill it from there?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.