Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through dozens of threads and spent quite a good bit of time looking before I asked. But I could not find a "detailed" DIY on how to bleed the system properly. I've tried the jack stand thing, and squeezing the top hose as I'm adding it. But still I have air pockets! and I'm adding coolant everyday...So please some help would be VERY!!! much appreciated. Cause at $25 a gallom this is getting to be expesinsive......(sorry for the novel)

·
Registered
188 Posts
usually, i just run car. turn heater control to max hot and floor/defrost and let it run for a while, maybe 20-25min. works everytime for me

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you leaking fluid? If not, your water pump could be bad and when the fluid doesn't circulate it just boils up in one spot. I believe this would result in the same scenario as a leak: having to refil fluid on a daily basis. Both seem like good places to start.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any way i can chack to see if the water pump is bad? Also i havn't noticed any leaking anywhere(it's garage kept) that's really what is concerning me. Is there any particular place i should be looking for leaks? BTW the timing belt and water pump were supposedly serviced at 93,000 and now it has 122,000 is that enough time for a water pump to go bad?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I think the design of the cooling system is such that the bleeding issues you get on some FWD cars doesnt occur, but correct me if i am wrong.

My car was low because it had a small leak, didn't notice for a while. Fixed the leak.
I just removed the rad cap and topped up to full, then filled the tank to full line and kept topping up for a few days. It then stabilized.
Each heating and cooling cycle burps the system so long as the tank doesn't go empty.

You may not have much of a leak, if you are sure the air is out of the system and the tank keeps going down then look for deposits under the pump. Are you sure it was changed at 90K ?

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Hrmm.. If you've gone through the bleeding procedure and you're still having to fill the system, you may very well have a BHG. Is there a white plume of smock always coming out your tailpipe? Is it sweet smelling?

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(IanH)......I bought the car from a "car lot" but by the shadiest piece of [email protected]&% you could ever imagine. So I think it was cause its written on the lil service tag thats on the front of the engine. Also is 20-25 min too long cause when i put it on the jack stands and took the Rad. cap off it only took about 5min to start getting considerably hot. thats why i was wondering if 220-25min was too long.................BTW Thanks too everyone who took the time to try and help out a complete stranger. Much appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.